(UPdate) ebay: automatically accepted returns

Options
soolin
soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I've seen mention of this on other forums and on the community boards but I am finding ebay 'help'not helpful at all to fully explain the process.

Yesterday I had a buyer state that an item was not as described, I am happy it is but nonetheless offered a refund if buyer returned. Today I had a return case opened but rather than the usual case I am used to where I can refund, or send a label etc it says "In line with the eBay returns policy, this return has been approved automatically."

I've checked the case and it says the case was opened as an SNAD and when you open the case further it shows :

"We've asked the buyer to post the item back by 14 Mar. Wait until you get the item back before issuing a refund.
You should wait until you get the item back before you refund the buyer. Please make sure that you issue the refund within 2 working days of the item being delivered back to you. If the buyer doesn't send the item back by 14 Mar we may close this return."

There is no mention of who is paying for the return nor any mention of cost to myself- but obviously I can't believe ebay are doing this out of the goodness of their heart. The estimated refund shows the full amount originally paid as needing to be refunded , but nothing at all about return costs.

Any ideas or at least links to the policy?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• soolin
    Options
    I decided to phone ebay and ask and it seems this is an automatic process now for any SNAD or change of mind return.

A change of mind return where sellers states clearly that buyer pays return will be expected to be posted at buyers expense. However, if seller offers free returns or it is an SNAD case seller will be charged for a label automatically by ebay - for most items including large letters this will be £3.05.

There is no way for seller to dispute the return and if seller does not refund within 2 days of item showing as returned then the refund will be made automatically and seller will get a defect.

Apparently sellers need to opt out- but CS said this is not easy to do - and they did it for me whilst I was on the phone. Apparently you need to find the RMA authorisation tick (or something) in your settings.

I was referred to this link:

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/automatic-returns-acceptance

So basically any buyer wanting to return anything to a business seller but who doesn't want to pay return postage just opens an SNAD and automatically gets a label sent at seller's cost - so be warned!

I did ask what happens if I want to dispute an SNAD and was told that I would need to present my evidence within the 2 days after receipt but before refund is made - but they had no idea what 'evidence'could possibly work for a seller.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2019 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Hi, I'm a private seller and had exactly the same experience today with the same message, so not just business sellers.

I rang ebay and was told the ebay label isn't charged for until it is used/scanned at the Post Office. This is when it is weighed and the cost worked out, minimum £3.05. However, if I send a PDF via my messages the buyer can use that instead. Unfortunately my buyer insisted on using the ebay label for an item I sent her with a LL stamp.

I am confident my item is correctly described but I suspect as hers and mine were bought a year apart the batch/dye is a little different. When she messaged me I asked her to return it without question. 17 messages later she opened a return anyway. Every time my reply was 'Sorry it's not what you expected, please just send it back, get POP or if you prefer use 'signed for' which will track and I will refund the postage as well'

I should have blocked her when she asked three picky questions before buying and saw that she has private feedback. And that she is known in real life by at least 3 different names. I have blocked her user name, email and seller name now - hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • soolin
    Options
    Hi, I'm a private seller and had exactly the same experience today with the same message, so not just business sellers.
    I rang ebay and was told the ebay label isn't charged for until it is used/scanned at the Post Office. This is when it is weighed and the cost worked out, minimum £3.05. However, if I send a PDF via my messages the buyer can use that instead. Unfortunately my buyer insisted on using the ebay label for an item I sent her with a LL stamp.

The cost is £3.05 as that's the standard label supplied by eBay for all large letters and standard parcels, it doesn't go up unless the buyer complains that the label isn't sufficient for the weight of the item and a new label needs to be issued. As you say though the label is only charged once it enters the postal system.

As so much of my stock is large letter sized I don't want returns automatically accepted as I'm not paying £3.05 to have a large letter item returned.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    >Site Preferences >Return Preferences
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    Options
    >Site Preferences >Return Preferences

Interestingly when I checked my private accounts had not been opted in - even though I offer change of mind returns which apparently is the criteria.

The other interesting thing is that funds have not been held to cover the return on my business account which means I need to remember to leave that amount in there at all times.
  • soolin wrote: »
    Apparently you need to find the RMA authorisation tick (or something) in your settings.

My understanding is returns are still auto accepted but this gives the option of providing your own label or the eBay one. It seems to delay eBay sending a label but if you don't provide one eBay will eventually do so.

The usual appeals process still applies, eBay seem to cover the cost of the label if it is obvious the item isn't SNAD, e.g you sell a red widget and the buyer opens a SNAD because they wanted blue.

eBay want you to offer free returns and it seems a free change of mind return is the only way to make any deduction if the buyer doesn't return the goods in their original condition.

That said the terms do say items must be returned in their original condition so you still have the option of small claims against the buyer, should it be worth the trouble.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How does this work with sellers having the option to refund without a return? Even ebay can't charge sellers £3.05 for the return of something sold for £2.99 - or can they?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • soolin
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    How does this work with sellers having the option to refund without a return? Even ebay can't charge sellers £3.05 for the return of something sold for £2.99 - or can they?

There is an option to refund without return still
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    Is the £3.05 label signed for? Thanks
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Is the £3.05 label signed for? Thanks

RM Tracked 48, scanned on delivery, no signature required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure