Polite bank staff?

Options

Comments

• Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I prefer to talk to a person that use a machine. .

I prefer to use a machine. Machines are rarely rude ;)
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lrimas wrote: »
    I prefer to use a machine. Machines are rarely rude ;)

but machines don't return a nice smile or a compliment...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Cashiers make no money for a bank.

Okay, it's not quite as straight forward as that, but:

if a branch has 10 staff, 5 of whom are cashiers, and sells 75 products a week they are more likely to close than a branch with 8 staff, 2 of whom are cashiers selling 90 products a week.

So using the paying in machines may make a branch more likely to remain open.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally I think they should start rolling out Cash Machines across the country that can be used to pay in cash, cheques and coins as well as withdrawing cash and coins.
    Then they can close down all the branches because there will be no need for them!.
    I'm actually surprised how many branches there are still open. Apart from paying in money what do you really need a bank branch for that you can't do from the comfort of your home or on the go by phone or online banking?.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a bit fearful of these machines since an incident where after putting in not a small amount of money in the machine it told me it was "out of service" and kept all the cash leaving me with no proof I'd ever put it in there.

It took about 6 weeks and an official complaint letter before the bank did anything about it.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Apart from paying in money what do you really need a bank branch for that you can't do from the comfort of your home or on the go by phone or online banking?.

To complain or go to when things go wrong, because even though you are happy to use phone/online and machines, it seems you'd rather see someone face to face when you need it the most.

Also not everyone likes to do all their business online, some prefer to see a person if dealing with what could be a very important financial matter e.g. a mortgage, loan, bereavement.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    To complain or go to when things go wrong, because even though you are happy to use phone/online and machines, it seems you'd rather see someone face to face when you need it the most.

Also not everyone likes to do all their business online, some prefer to see a person if dealing with what could be a very important financial matter e.g. a mortgage, loan, bereavement.

From reading posts on her bank staff have no authority when it comes to complaints and banks have dedicated complaints/fraud teams. So it's much better and more efficient to complain via telephone/email/letter and contact the relevant people directly for a quicker solution.

Things such as loans as you mentioned are much better to get online because you can compare the different banks and apply for the one with the best rate. When it comes to mortgages there is far more independent information online and if you needed to speak to someone face to face you would probably get a better rate talking to a mortgage broker rather than one specific bank.

Obviously you mention that it's to do with people's preferences but that is slowly changing as people are getting more and more used to technology and how to use it.
  • Jibeddy
    Options
    I would get a tsb account to spend from with the contactless cashback but there's no tsb round here and I believe you have to attend a branch to show Id, etc

I recently opened a few accounts and TSB was by far the most seamless one. Haven't had to visit a branch (I don't even know where my nearest one is) or even had to speak to somebody on the phone (as I haven't switched). In fact I haven't even been asked to send off any documents/signatures.

A colleague opened a Nationwide account and TSB account recently and agreed that TSB's is the slickest he's had.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I used to work for Leeds Permanent Building Society in 1980s/90s which was taken over by Halifax. The working atmosphere changed drastically and focus went from customer service with Leeds to sales and targets with Halifax. Not a happy place to work so maybe it is still like that and staff not happy. They may think they are being helpful by suggesting you use the machine to avoid queuing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • danonwheels
    Options
    I'm with Halifax and whenever I go to pay money or cheques in there is always someone who asks if I would like to use the machine. I simply say no thanks and they leave me alone. Never had any problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure