Polite bank staff?

Options
I go to TSB to pay in money and I find the staff there polite . However at Halifax the staff moan at me and say I should use a banking machine. I prefer to talk to a person that use a machine. I feel stressed when I walk into Halifax Bank. I wait in a line and member of staff asks if I can use the banking machine. I always say no thanks. I think a bank should be more welcoming to its customers.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If this is all about paying money in then why don't you just pay in at TSB and transfer it to Halifax via online banking?
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    However at Halifax the staff moan at me ......... I wait in a line and member of staff asks if I can use the banking machine

Are you sure they moan at you? Aren't they more likely trying to be helpful by telling you that you don't have to queue as you can use machines for deposits and withdrawals?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the same thing years ago with the Halifax, they said its an online account and i should use the automated machine. Thats fine except it was not an online account i opened it in that branch and have always banked over the counter.

Then the issue of them not doing the machine on a regular basis, quite often they leave it until the next day. No good if your depositing funds for a payment you need to make early the next day.

They were quite happy for me to bank a fairly large cheque and hopefully talk me into buying one of theor services though.

All i do now is take a bag of change with me, no issues then the automated machine wont take a few bags of coins.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends on the branch but Halifax / Bank of Scotland can be like that.

I actually prefer the automated machines as they count then deposit the cash/cheques without any issue.

I don't use the version where you post it through the wall and let them count it later. I've had mishaps with them before with wrong cheque values entered and cash miscounted. Futhermore, they are a PIA about sorting it out.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When they're paying £5 a month they know they won't lose customers by trying to put them off using human staff

I would get a tsb account to spend from with the contactless cashback but there's no tsb round here and I believe you have to attend a branch to show Id, etc
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is unfortunately the modern way - just like we are expected to operate our own checkout at the supermarket, act as ticket clerk at the railway station, weigh our own parcels at the post office and act as immigration officer at the airport.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I go to TSB to pay in money and I find the staff there polite . However at Halifax the staff moan at me and say I should use a banking machine. I prefer to talk to a person that use a machine. I feel stressed when I walk into Halifax Bank. I wait in a line and member of staff asks if I can use the banking machine. I always say no thanks. I think a bank should be more welcoming to its customers.

Sorry but its people like you who hold up the queue. I happily use their paying in machine wherever possible. Move with the times.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    'I feel stressed'

!!!! sake get over yourself.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'I feel stressed'

!!!! sake get over yourself.

I feel your pain brother!:rotfl:
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can help yourself, then I encourage you to do so, rather than take up a cashiers time when it can be avoided. They don't just sit around all day waiting for people to come along for tedious transactions. They have other stuff to do in the background, so when people do something for themselves they get a nice break to get on with other bits and bobs.

Or maybe they just don't want to talk to you as much as you want to talk to them lol
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business