Black mould on ceiling

Options
Fairenuff
Fairenuff Posts: 54 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have black mould on the ceiling above my shower, we had the bathroom refurbished in July so ceiling was painted,we have an extractor fan that comes on when you put the light on and I open the window daily so my question is two fold how di I get rid of the mould and how do I stop it recurring? Thanks X

Comments

• andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairenuff wrote: »
    I have black mould on the ceiling above my shower, we had the bathroom refurbished in July so ceiling was painted,we have an extractor fan that comes on when you put the light on and I open the window daily so my question is two fold how di I get rid of the mould and how do I stop it recurring? Thanks X

Do you use a squeegy thing on the tiles/shower screen, that can help, or better still, a window vac? Other than that, keep the window open more. Having recently had an extractor fan fitted, I've found they're pretty useless and wish I hadn't bothered now. Haven't had any mould though since August.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Getting rid of it is pretty easy. You can buy various types of mould spray but being a money saving website in essence the products is a diluted bleach mix. Scrubbinf brush and bleach mixture should get rid of most of the black marks. There might be some discolouration of the paint which you might want to touch up.

As for stopping it coming back, theres a few ways. It sounds like your extractor is inadequate (its clearly not extrating enough water to prevent mould growth) so you could get a second or more powerful extractor fan. The other option is to go for a different style of fan, you can get one with moisture detection that stay on until it believes the moisture levels in the room have dropped enough as opposed to switch operated.

A more temporary, temporarily cheaper fix is to increase the temperature of the ceiling of the room. Usually quite easily achieved by removing any loft insulation above your bathroom. (mould appears less common on ground floors as there usually somewhere warm above it that stops the moisture condensing. Obviously your house will be less insulated and colder but it costs nothing immediately and no expertise required.

Always worth using a decent paint on ceilings in bathrooms too. Something like zinnser but paint last, no point overpainting it until the problems solved. Id imagine most of the problems will go away come spring time anyway but unless you solve the ventilation issue itll be a yearly occurrence.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    andrewmp wrote: »
    Do you use a squeegy thing on the tiles/shower screen, that can help, or better still, a window vac? Other than that, keep the window open more. Having recently had an extractor fan fitted, I've found they're pretty useless and wish I hadn't bothered now. Haven't had any mould though since August.

Extractor fans are really effective. Most of the time if there is an inadequate extractor fan its usually down to not buying the right product for the job. What criteria was used when selecting the extractor fan or was it just a bob down to b&q and buy the cheapest, easiest to fit?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    ^^ This. The cheapest fan kits are about £30 and are woefully underpowered. I bought separate ducting and switching and bought a decent fan from Toolstation for £60. All told it came to £80 but it's lasted 5 years to date and has a really good pull on it. No condensation at all.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    As well as an extra for, we issued Zinsser Permawhite on our shower room ceiling and haven’t had a single spot of mould in two years.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd use HG Mould Spray. You can mess around diluting bleach or whatever but it won't be as effective as just buying the spray and using it according to the instructions.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    I'd use HG Mould Spray. You can mess around diluting bleach or whatever but it won't be as effective as just buying the spray and using it according to the instructions.

Tried it?
    According to the product sheet, the HG mould spray ingredients consist of the following ingredients:

Water
    Sodium hypochlorite (concentration approximately 3%) this is effectively bleach
    Sodium hydroxide (concentration approximately 1%) this is a powerful corrosive alkaline.

So their special ingredient is a tiny amount of caustic soda. Your paying ~£5 for about 15 ml of bleach, 5 grams (assuming 1ml = 1 gram) of caustic soda and a spray bottle.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Tried it?

So their special ingredient is a tiny amount of caustic soda. Your paying ~£5 for about 15 ml of bleach, 5 grams (assuming 1ml = 1 gram) of caustic soda and a spray bottle.

Yes, I have tried both and the mould spray is more effective than bleach alone. It's all very well saying 1% is a tiny amount but so is the 3% bleach. That combined 4% is more effective than standard bleach. If you want to go mixing it up yourself, go for it. I'd prefer to buy it rather than mess around with chemicals I don't particularly understand, and although this is a money saving site, £5 is hardly bank-breaking for a product that works.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Extend the run-on period on the existing fan, and make sure you have at least trickle vents open.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    Yes, I have tried both and the mould spray is more effective than bleach alone. It's all very well saying 1% is a tiny amount but so is the 3% bleach. That combined 4% is more effective than standard bleach. If you want to go mixing it up yourself, go for it. I'd prefer to buy it rather than mess around with chemicals I don't particularly understand, and although this is a money saving site, £5 is hardly bank-breaking for a product that works.

I gave a money saving option. One that works effectively enough to remove mould. One that the op prbably has available in their house to at least give it a go before deciding they need to pay a premium for a teaspoon of caustic soda.

You seem to have countered that with ignorance and inconvenient convenience (going to the shop to buy a bottle of what is practically already beneath your sink). Youre welcome to do that but i dont think mixing bleach and water is messing around (its the same mixture i use to mop my floors) going to the shop to buy a bottle of really expensive bleach water with a bit of caustic soda chucked in is, i think, messing around.

Youre paying ~£5 for 1/2 l of mop bucket water!!!! I bet you buy evian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure