IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Appeal dismissed by IAS

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,297 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Stafford - that's my home Court! If/when you have a date, I would be happy to observe proceedings and/or help you present your case (if you feel it is necessary). Let me know what date eventually gets set and I'll see if I can make it ;)

Self-styled lay reps touting for business/kudos is not what this forum is about.

99% of posters here are very happy to report a discontinuance or a win face to face, achieved themselves, without allowing some stranger to rock up from t'internet, a person who could be anyone.

Sounds positively unsafe and inadvisable to me, whether a person has ten posts or 100.

Imagine meeting them, or giving them your data, when they could be anyone, any name, any background. Could even be a BPA Member or something, with their own agenda.

This is not what this forum is about.

I can't agree that lay rep strangers are a good idea.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - I echo the comments from Quentin and Coupon Mad.

You should exercise extreme caution when dealing with apparently knowledgeable 'newbies' who turn up on the forum offering their help/ services.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    Options
    Snakes Belly

Take notice of Quentin, coupon-mad and lamilad

Extreme caution is the order of the day
  • Snakes_Belly
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.

I have been to Stafford Court before (probate) and I assume that the set up will be similar in that it will be in a room.

My knowledge of parking law is limited however I have taken some law exams that relate to my professional qualification. I have also undergone in house training in employment law.

Situation-o - I hopefully will be fine without any hand holding but thank you for the offer.

Beamerguy - You were correct. The debt collection company is DRP. I read the letter properly yesterday and they are asking for £160.00. The original charge was £60.00 then £100.00. It does not make much difference as I have no intention of paying it. I intend to take all my correspondence to my MP's surgery in the next couple of weeks so she can see for herself how these companies operate.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The debt collection company is DRP. I read the letter properly yesterday and they are asking for £160.00. The original charge was £60.00 then £100.00. It does not make much difference as I have no intention of paying it. I intend to take all my correspondence to my MP's surgery in the next couple of weeks so she can see for herself how these companies operate.

Write to DRP and inform them that you had expressly told Excel not share the information and you are now informing them that a) they should refer the matter back to Excel and b) to cease processing your personal data and c) the actions of Excel are being considered by the EHRC.
    Yes and they were of the opinion that I may have a case against Excel.

If they do not confirm they have ceased processing your personal data by return, you will ask EHRC to add DRP to the investigation. You will also consider referring the matter to the ICO for breaching the Data Protection Act too and ask the ICO to withdraw their registration until such times they confirm they will abide by the Act.
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March 2018 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Just an update on my case. After the receipt of the letter from DRP I wrote to them and told them to refer the matter back to Excel as the debt was in dispute. I told them also to not write to me again. They ignored this and sent several more letters requesting varying amounts which I ignored.

I then received letters from a company called Zenith who were offering a reduced amount if I paid by a certain date. I was getting a bit annoyed with these letters so I browsed the Internet regarding debt collection and the FCA. It would appear that before Excel places the debt with a debt collection agent they should advise the debtor. They should also enquire as to whether the debtor is considered a vulnerable person before they place the debt into the hands of collection agents. Excel failed to do this in my case so I took this up with Citizens Advice and they have passed the matter on to Trading Standards. If Excel take me to court it's another issue I can take up. w.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/harassment-by-creditors/

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,297 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 March 2018 at 4:55PM
    Options
    DRP are Zenith, though. We all know that! Laughable letter chain, look at this from 2012:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

Glad you are fighting but we would NEVER have told you to go to the CAB, they are useless on this subject, utterly clueless advice bandied around all the time telling people they are liable because of the POFA/because of Beavis, and might have to pay, as if all 'parking charges' are somehow recoverable and everyone is liable.

They are not.

The CAB should be embarrassed, as should the National Debtline who are as bad.

Trading Standards complaint is good but will go nowhere. You need to involve your MP.

You should read these links and watch the MPs debate in Parliament, to fire you up:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2018-02-02b.1149.0

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787731

Just 4 weeks ago, the private parking industry's little game and 'outrageous scam' (Hansard), has been finally been condemned as a scam, unanimously by MPs in Parliament in the private parking Code of Practice Bill debate.

Watch it, read it, get it. Debt collectors and the IPC Trade body were named and shamed.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just an update on my case. After the receipt of the letter from DRP I wrote to them and told them to refer the matter back to Excel as the debt was in dispute. I told them also to not write to me again. They ignored this and sent several more letters requesting varying amounts which I ignored.

I then received letters from a company called Zenith who were offering a reduced amount if I paid by a certain date. I was getting a bit annoyed with these letters so I browsed the Internet regarding debt collection and the FCA. It would appear that before Excel places the debt with a debt collection agent they should advise the debtor. They should also enquire as to whether the debtor is considered a vulnerable person before they place the debt into the hands of collection agents. Excel failed to do this in my case so I took this up with Citizens Advice and they have passed the matter on to Trading Standards. If Excel take me to court it's another issue I can take up.

Zenith and DRP are the same company, same office, different desk.

As far as CAB is concerned, they are clueless when it comes to private parking, but I assume you are using them to access TS about debt crawlers. That is a good tactic.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    Options

I then received letters from a company called Zenith who were offering a reduced amount if I paid by a certain date. I was getting a bit annoyed with these letters so I browsed the Internet regarding debt collection and the FCA. It would appear that before Excel places the debt with a debt collection agent they should advise the debtor. They should also enquire as to whether the debtor is considered a vulnerable person before they place the debt into the hands of collection agents. Excel failed to do this in my case so I took this up with Citizens Advice and they have passed the matter on to Trading Standards. If Excel take me to court it's another issue I can take up.

DRP looked in the mirror and thought ah ha, this is now
    a case for their mirror image Zenith

Total uncouth droids the pair of them, they live in the sewers
    by the way ...... even the rats ignore them

As C-M said, take no notice of the CAB, they are not trained
    in the art of scammers
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March 2018 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I had to go through Citizens Advice to get to Trading Standards. I was getting fed up with the letters especially after telling Excel that I would not engage with debt collectors.

If they do take me to court I shall play every card that I possibly can and I have a good collection of letters now that are bordering on harassment. Zenith halved the amount I owed if I paid by a certain date. That smacked of desperation in the light of the PMB. When the date expired I received another letter offering me the same deal of £69.99. I think that they are trying to salvage what they can before the PMB is introduced.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport