PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with Mint?

Options

Comments

• aimeelister
    aimeelister Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    Pimms! Its always Pimms o'clock in this weather!
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    This recipe sounds like fun. Bet you could do it in a SC with the addition of some white wine maybe.
    Grilled chilli Chicken with lemon and mint

BTW thank you for starting this thread. I've had mint in my garden for a couple of months now and had done nothing with it. Now it's going into everything...I'd forgotten just how refreshing a taste it has.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Stratford_Bill
    Options
    You can make mint tea simply by pouring hot water over the leaves. Some kinds of mint don't taste so good, then dorsetmiss's recipe on page 1 will come into its own.
    To buy or not to buy, need not be in question
    Stratford Bill
  • bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to make some choc-mint icecream, but I can only find recipes using mint extract or essential oil and with my glut already coming in the garden I'd like to actually use mint leaves.

Does anyone have a recipe and any other recipes using mint leaves that are sweet rather than savoury? Variations on a theme of peppermint creams or mint biscuits etc would be fabulous if anyone has any sources / experiences to share.

Any other ideas of other non-culinary uses would be appreciated too - things like uses on the skin, hair or in the home

Many thanks
    Bigpaws x
  • ells2123
    ells2123 Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    So far i have found these

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/recipe/detail.htm?recipeid=5076

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/strawberryandmintsal_72224.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/etonmess_72758.shtml

Although these are essentially just sauces, maybe you could make choc ice cream and serve it with mint sauce?

Also - and i know you said no savoury - but Nigella does a delicious mint and feta cheese omelette, the two flavours go really really well together and its a good money saving meal!
    2011 wins so far: Radio Deal package worth £600 :)

Best prizes ever:
    Two flights to Tokyo & a years supply of Gas and Electric !!! :D
    Thanks to everyone that posts! :beer:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you steep the mint leaves in hot water (overnight?), strain, and then add sugar & boil to create a mint sugar syrup?

I don't know if this is a tried & tested method, but as the mint is free it will only cost you a couple of tablespoons of sugar & your time to find out.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bigpaws,

There are a couple of recipes for making mint ice cream here and here. I know that they aren't chocolate and mint but perhaps you could fold some chocolate chips into the ice cream?

Oh, just found a couple of recipes for chocolate mint ice cream.

Fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream

Mint chocolate ice cream

Pink
  • Three_Dancing_Dragons
    Options
    Don't forget mint raita. I know you serve it with a savoury curry (or potato wedges) but I've always found it very sweet. There is a drinking version as well but I can't remember the name of it.
    If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made a carbonnara yesterday with peas, and shredded fresh mint added at the end. Delicious.

Will also be trying mojitos - thanks Lynz!

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • HelzBelz
    HelzBelz Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    If you decide to try and keep some of the plant keep it in a large pot if you leave it in a corner of the garden it will just keep spreading
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure