PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with Mint?

Options

Comments

• greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    Some great suggestions, thanks everyone :j
  • dihaz
    dihaz Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    greenpixey wrote:
    Some great suggestions, thanks everyone :j
    You can dry the mint leaves outside and then store them in an air tight container.We do this every year and it all gets used up over the winter.
    You need to pick the leaves and spread them on an old towel or sheet,in this heat they will dry in a day when they are crunchy you can store them.
    Its lovely as it retains it lovely green colour.
    hope it makes sense!:beer:
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Found this recipe that I'm definately going to make. I usually do basic tomato and onion salsa , but this sounds great
    Apple and fresh mint salsa

Oh wow just made this salsa.........it's my new favourite. I made a couple of adjustments. A bit of laziness and a bit of forgetfulness. i missed out the Honey and instead of chopped chilli I added some chilli garlic sauce I had in the fridge. MMMMMMMMM!!!! is all I can say. We're having it with left over rice mixed with Jerk chicken casserole and tomorrow I'm going to serve it with my chicken curry. I think it'll also go great with bar-b-que like burgers, sausages. Dead easy and so tasty. Really glad I've got mint in the garden now :)
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    zombiecazz I made the mint and lemon frozen yoghurt and it was amazing!
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    mirakl wrote:
    zombiecazz I made the mint and lemon frozen yoghurt and it was amazing!

Fantastic.:D
    I've set my yoghurt going in a flask so will have a go at making it tomorrow.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    mirakl wrote:
    Now I know I always suggest something alcoholic when people ask what they can do with things, but I'm doing it again anyway :D
    Mint Juleps are brilliant.

And I am ALWAYS interested in anything alcoholic so what are mint juleps?

I'm going off to google it now but if you have some insider info it'd be much appreciated :T

EDIT: oooo, they look nice :

Apple Mint Juleps clear.gifFrom SouthernLiving.gif
    writeDinnerTonight();clear.gifclear.gif
    If bourbon is not your cup of tea, you can still experience a julep. We made the alcohol optional in this recipe; it's great both ways.
    clear.gif
    2 cups chopped fresh mint
    8 cups apple juice
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1 cup bourbon (optional)
    Garnish: fresh mint sprigs

Tie mint in a cheesecloth bag, and place in a large saucepan. Add apple juice, and bring mixture to a boil.

Remove from heat; cover and cool. Chill. Remove and discard cheesecloth bag; stir in lime juice and, if desired, bourbon. Serve over crushed or shaved ice; garnish, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Fairy22
    Fairy22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite as exciting as Mint Julips, but I find it quite nice to add a leaf or 2 to a glass of cold water, either with cucumber or on it's own. Really refreshing and a change from boring old water !.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you have some apples, mint and apple jelly is lovely with some cold meat.

I dry mine in the microwave, crumble and store in an airtight jar for use later. When I was younger my Mum and I used to preserve the mint chopped up in vinegar ready to make mint sauce.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    How about throwing some in the water when you are boiling potatoes, esp jersey mids
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have found mint freezes well if you must chop it up and put it in a tub. I do this with leftover parsley, rosemary and corriander too, but basil is not as good.

Another alcoholic drink for you if you like gin like me!
    * Put chopped mint in jug (lots) and crush over back of a metal spoon.
    *Add a spoonful of sugar, gin and some cruched ice
    * serve as in a small glass, taskes lovely.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport