Want to Cancel BT.

Options
I just renewed my Contract with BT in April 2019 (phone and Broadband £29.99/month) for 18 months but now due to change in circumstances I would like to cancel both. I'm not going to another Supplier just want to cancel.

Can I do this? If I can will I have to pay a Termination fee? Thanks

Comments

• bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 July 2019 at 7:01PM
    Options
    You can cancel BT services, and unfortunately there will be very hefty termination charges to pay for each remaining month of your contract. I think this link may answer your question.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56482/~/thinking-of-leaving-bt%3F

Go to the 'Cost of Leaving'. There is a link to a downloadable document. Refer to the section "Early Termination Charges Explained" within the document.

The minimum charge for cancelling broadband appears to be from £16 for each remaining month of the contract (eg. 15 x £16). It is not clear whether an additional £9.50 has to be paid for line rental too. Someone with more knowledge will know the answer.
  • john5000
    john5000 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks appreciate that info looks like I'm going to have to pay for those remaining months, if it's going to cost so much I might do nothing and just let the Contract run its course Been with BT for 3 years kept sending me letters around Feb about new Contract should have done nothing plus just continued paying every month but hindsight is 20 20
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Note also that if you do terminate your broadband without moving provider (either during or out of contract) you may have to pay a cessation charge as well to cover the cost of removing the broadband from the line on the exchange. The Plusnet charge (since they are owned and run by BT at arms length) is £30 for this, the parent company is probably going to be more.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No charge for monthly line rental unless it was part of a bundle .
    No refund on advanced line rental payments .
    No VAT charge on cancel fees .

But worth asking the cancellations department for an exact figure .
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Neil Jones

I don't think there is any £30 cessation charge to pay. I thought I read BT dropped the charge about 18 months ago.

Plusnet do continue to charge a broadband cessation fee though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure