Anyone recommend a budget tablet PC?

Options
Dropped and broke my Tablet PC, A Motion Computing one that originally sold for quite a bit of money.

Looking for a budget replacement.

Spotted some PC Tablets with Dual OS Windows and Android.

Full sized USB would be an advantage but as long as micro to standard USB adapters work then thats fine.

Proper keyboard addon not that important. But notice that the full sized USB ports seem to be in the keyboard on a lot of them.

Spotted some in the CPC leaflet £130 - £150, thinking about £20 more than Ebay/Amazon but better aftersales. Then i remembered the mag prices are +VAT. So closer to £40 more than Ebay/Amazon. No matter how many times i look that +VAT keeps catching me out..

They all appear to be the same generic items, just different labels..

Must have windows, I would prefer 7 but that seems like a big no.

Found some reviews but the models change far too quickly and other reviews say the best tablet is an Apple or Samsung, err not for me because no windows...

Dual boot to Android is a bonus..

Anyone got one or recommend one?

Thanks
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dual boot to Android is not a bonus, it works like crap.

Chuwi is a brand from China starting to make quite a name for itself.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whats wrong with the dual boot ones? Best of both worlds?

Seen so many reviews that even the testers struggled to find something different. Down side to the dual boot is space, one mentioned having less than 8GB free space in windows and an update took about 3GB. Space was biased towards Android tester thought that wrong.

Looking at the Hi10 64GB version, or one of the many clones with the same device. Although by the time a tester does the review and writes the script and uploads it the spec has changed...

First 10" one i reviewed was not dual boot, they said dont update with the files provided by the manufacturer because it bricked his device.
    Luckily he had the tools to reflash it.

Sub £150 for 10.1" IPS, 4GB / 64GB. Some mentions the screen being the exact same one used by the original MS Surface? Was it a bad screen? :)

I know its not going to match a big brand Android or PC tablet, but for my needs the price is right.

They all seem much of a muchness.

• rsvtoddy
    Options
    Typing this on a Cube iwork 10 dual boot that I've just bought. 170.00 including keyboard off the bay.

Must say I'm impressed with it! Have loaded Office professional plus 2016 and no issues at all with it so far.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    Options
    Any downsides? Some said the android version is a little old and no updates. But i dont see that as a problem.

I wish windows 10 would do the same. No updates to waste memory.

• rsvtoddy
    rsvtoddy Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest apart from when I got it I haven't felt the need to boot into Android but when I did it seemed snappy enough. Windows 10 seems perfectly fine so that's what I use!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    Options
    take a look at the Linx 1010.
    I've used a linx 8 for a couple of years and it's fine for my needs, no issues, so on that basis the latest model should be even better.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Clive_x
    Clive_x Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've just left Microsoft Win 10 in disgust. Now on Chromebook. u say u must have Windows.
    ok, but be aware Chromebook can Edit/Save/convert to/from Office apps ie Excel/Word/PPt . Also Chromebook costs me <1/100 of Windows 10, Win10 Updates and other data capacity used regularly 500-700 Megabytes weekly , Chromebook's overhead around ONE MEGABYTE per MONTH. CANNOT get a virus !!! Works flawlessly. I'm a qualified Electronics Technician and I give Google's Chromebook 9.5 out of 10, and Win10 >MINUS 10
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Some downsides, you need a PC or MAC to set up cloud printing if you haven't got a cloud printer, unable to watch Sky Go or NowTV (afaik) and unable to connect DVD drives.

But Windows is horrible and if you can manage without the above then Chromebooks make a lot of sense. I've had one for a few years now and it's never let me down. I even dropped it and broke the keyboard so I bought a cheap USB keyboard and it works fine.
    The main issue for me is printing, if you can sort that out then I would highly recommend.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 11:03PM
    Options
    When I was looking for a small tablet/laptop, Neil49 recommended this and it suits me fine.
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo-miix-310-101-inch-touch-atom-x5-z8350-2gb-32gb-intel-hd-graphics-windows-10-2-in-1-laptop-silver/613-6038.pr.d?skuId=613-6038&source=others

Runs Windows 10 and can use Kingsoft Office.

Only caveat is not much storage.
    Yes, the USB socket's on the detachable keyboard.
    The tablet's got a microSD card socket, but it has issues recognising the card unless you squeeze a small bit of paper in to improve the contact.

Works well for me and I'm happy.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a 64gb micro sd card in my Miix 3 and it works fine. There were a lot of problems with 128 gb cards in the early days and I still wouldn't trust anything that size.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure