Key Safe, are they safe?

Options

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    I have fitted loads of push button ones.
    You cant set the push button ones with two numbers the same.....
    ie 1931 !!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have fitted loads of push button ones.
    You cant set the push button ones with two numbers the same.....
    ie 1931 !!
    As per my post 11 - that's why they're so easy to crack, it limits the number of possible differs.
  • firefox1956
    Options
    Post 9 actually buts who's counting...........
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    No, that was on the market then; it still has the old disadvantage of you only being able to use each digit once in the code, thereby giving anyone trying to crack it a huge advantage. But this one does have 12 buttons instead of 10, which does mean it would take longer. My Mum's had 10 and it would only have been the work of a few minutes - I tested it to see how long it would take to run through the possible combinations!

There may, as you say, be little choice. But bear in mind what they say and do choose a code between 5 and 7 digits in length. Absolutely avoid 4 digits, as that is what a burglar would try first (bearing in mind PINs etc).

Please tell me how many combinations there could be. Unless I'm missing something, I'd think it would take much longer than a few minutes to try them all!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• firefox1956
    Options
    I am sure a mathematician will be along fairly soon to give you the numbers !!!
    Probably take longe than looking for the key under a brick or a flower pot I would think.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Please tell me how many combinations there could be. Unless I'm missing something, I'd think it would take much longer than a few minutes to try them all!

Four digits give 10,000 combinations (10 * 10 * 10 * 10). 0000 to 9999.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess four unique digits would give 5,040 combinations: 10 * 9 * 8 * 7.

In reality fewer because people probably wouldn't chose combitions such as 1234, 7890, 4321, etc.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Off the top of my head, I'd guess four unique digits would give 5,040 combinations: 10 * 9 * 8 * 7.

In reality fewer because people probably wouldn't chose combitions such as 1234, 7890, 4321, etc.

Are you sure? As I recall the four digits can be in any order to open the box!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I remember rightly, to change the code on my push button one (got via age concern) I'd have to take the whole thing off the wall again. Far too much hassle.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 29 October 2016 at 10:14PM
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Would it be less than that - assuming you didn't have to press the buttons in the correct order?

210 combinations?
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Post 9 actually buts who's counting...........
    How very odd, you're right. Maybe a couple have been deleted????
    pete-20-11 wrote: »
    Would it be less than that - assuming you didn't have to press the buttons in the correct order?

210 combinations?
    Yes, something like that. That's why there are pros and cons when it comes to hiding them out of sight, which is the usual advice. If they're visible, everybody knows where your key is. But, if it's tucked away out of sight, someone could have time to crack it without anyone seeing what they're up to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure