Wood blinds?

Options
We've just received 5 made to measure wood venetian blinds which we ordered online.
Described as wood venetians, warm oak. On unpacking and inspecting the first one, the blinds are definitely made from wood, however they have been either laminated or foil wrapped and don't resemble wood in texture (they're completely smooth) or colour and just look like creamy brown plastic venetian blinds.
We called the company and spoke to a customer service rep' who told us they don;'t accept returns as they're made to measure. We explained that the binds aren't as described on the website.and were informed that we should have ordered a sample and that they can't guarantee colour or texture..
Nowhere on the website does it say that the blinds are made from any material other than Basswood. It states that they're treated to help to prevent cracking, but I don't class coating with plastic coloured material as a treatment.
We were told to email the escalation team and received an email stating more or less the same as the customer service rep' regarding them not being able to guarantee the colour, texture or feel of the blinds and were offered us a 25% discount on a new order. Not likely mate.
We've responded saying that the description of the blinds is misleading and had we known that the blinds were laminated or foil wrapped or were made from anything other than wood,we would never have considered them.
Any advice gratefully received as ATM we're £410 worse off.
Our decor is mainly grey with pops of bright colours and we have oak doors so we wanted the wood blinds to complement the doors and provide the texture and look of wood. Instead we've got these horrible plastic looking light brown things. I think the PVC plastic wood effect blinds they sell would have looked just as good (or naff):o

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You really, really should have asked for samples. It might be a (not too) expensive lesson, but people's perception of colour, finish, texture will always be different, and if you were looking at colours on a monitor or in a brochure you simply can't replicate the real thing. I've been looking for wooden flooring - no two companies describe colours the same and I certainly wouldn't buy it without actually seeing it.

You've only got to read reviews of products - one person will love the item, another will say it looks/feels cheap and nasty.

You'll probably find tucked away in their Ts&Cs a disclaimer about non-return of made to measure items.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By made to measure, did you provide them the exact measurements they were to be made to or did you simply select from available size options they provided?

If you provided the sizes then you'd have to show the goods don't conform to contract, to be entitled to a refund. If you simply chose from their selection of sizes then you have a statutory right to cancel - for a minimum of 14 days starting the day after delivery if the retailer complied with their obligations (ie informing you that you have the right to cancel and the conditions and procedures for exercising that right - and they must do so in a durable medium, website is not durable) up to a maximum of 1 year & 14 days (if they never provide any information on your right to cancel).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • whatsthenews
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    You really, really should have asked for samples. It might be a (not too) expensive lesson, but people's perception of colour, finish, texture will always be different, and if you were looking at colours on a monitor or in a brochure you simply can't replicate the real thing. I've been looking for wooden flooring - no two companies describe colours the same and I certainly wouldn't buy it without actually seeing it.

You've only got to read reviews of products - one person will love the item, another will say it looks/feels cheap and nasty.

You'll probably find tucked away in their Ts&Cs a disclaimer about non-return of made to measure items.
    Do you by any chance work for 247 blinds?
    We bought wood flooring quite recently and I agree that the range of shades and textures is huge, however they do all have the top layer as wood. They may have been varnished or waxed, but they still have a wood grain on them and haven't had a layer of laminated plastic put over the top of the wood,because that's not what people expect when they buy "wood" flooring is it? If you want that finish then you buy laminate flooring, usually for a fair bit less than "wood" flooring.
    Yes, they do say that items are non -returnable, but that doesn't affect your consumer rights.
    By made to measure, did you provide them the exact measurements they were to be made to or did you simply select from available size options they provided?

If you provided the sizes then you'd have to show the goods don't conform to contract, to be entitled to a refund. If you simply chose from their selection of sizes then you have a statutory right to cancel - for a minimum of 14 days starting the day after delivery if the retailer complied with their obligations (ie informing you that you have the right to cancel and the conditions and procedures for exercising that right - and they must do so in a durable medium, website is not durable) up to a maximum of 1 year & 14 days (if they never provide any information on your right to cancel).

They are made to measure. We provided the exact measurements.
    My son describes the blinds as "looks like someone's poured a layer of caramel over the wooden slats" So frustrating when we can smell the wood and see it on the cut edges!
    In answer to the question we asked about the caramel coloured plastic/laminate layer over the wood, they said the blinds are real wood (which we know!) and not a mixture of wood and plastic.
    They say on their website that the wood has been "treated" so now we're asking what the "treatment" consists of.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2019 at 2:47AM
    Options
    Do you by any chance work for 247 blinds?

Not another poster who accuses anyone who doesn't 100% agree with them of working for the company in question.
    Unfortunately, we see far too much of it on this board.

Was it these ?
    https://www.247blinds.co.uk/origin-warm-oak-venetian-blind
    If so, it looks they clearly offer to send a free sample to you to look at before ordering - it;s unfortunate you chose not to take advantage of this to check their suitability,
  • whatsthenews
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Not another poster who accuses anyone who doesn't 100% agree with them of working for the company in question.
    Unfortunately, we see far too much of it on this board.

Was it these ?
    https://www.247blinds.co.uk/origin-warm-oak-venetian-blind
    If so, it looks they clearly offer to send a free sample to you to look at before ordering - it;s unfortunate you chose not to take advantage of this to check their suitability,

No accusation- just a question which I asked because it's almost word for word what 247 said. I did explain why the comment from LadyDee wasn't really relevant.
    Whether or not we had seen a sample is irrelevant if the blinds (the ones you linked to) are wood coated with another material eg laminate or melamine. If a customer orders solid wood blinds and there's no other information then they could reasonably expect them to look and feel like wood, as opposed to plastic. We've had wood blinds before and they were wooden slats that looked and felt like wood, not plastic.
    In their "Wooden blinds" section 247 blinds offer the Ecowood range which are described as faux wood.The Origins range, which they describe as having "superior 3mm thick basswood slats, is about twice the price.
    Having seen the Origins range,I believe the only difference between the 2 ranges is that the Ecowood blinds are made from some sort of PVC whereas the wood in Origins range has been sprayed with or wrapped in a similar PVC with the result that they both look and feel exactly the same, but Origins is about twice the price.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

The Origins range, which they describe as having "superior 3mm thick basswood slats, is about twice the price.

so you went for the cheapo option?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's not how I read it.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

oops, :o, sorry, reread first post.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    The OP ordered something made out of basswood, in a warm oak colour - i.e. not just the natural colour of the wood. It's either going to have some sort of laminate applied, a wood stain or paint. It's NOT going to be just the natural wood. Unfortunately for the OP the point at which that should have been verified is pre-order, not on delivery/installation.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP ordered something made out of basswood, in a warm oak colour - i.e. not just the natural colour of the wood. It's either going to have some sort of laminate applied, a wood stain or paint. It's NOT going to be just the natural wood. Unfortunately for the OP the point at which that should have been verified is pre-order, not on delivery/installation.
    Stain / varnish finish is a bit different to coating in plastic. I have seen similar complaints elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure