PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price?

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    big5 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. We moved 6 years ago and put our house on the market in September, accepted an offer on it that week, and found the house we wanted to buy in October. Not everyone wants to or is able to move in the summertime.

I agree, the "quiet in winter-time" thing is a myth, people are on their phones etc. 24/7 now looking at things they want to buy, including houses, the reason houses are not selling is because the biggest property bubble in history just popped ;)
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    I agree with Crashy. Some people are always looking.

My old neighbour was one such. I invited her round for supper on Christmas day and she politely refused as she was busy doing other things. They turned out to be spending the afternoon listing her presents on ebay, buying more stuff in the early online sales, then spending the evening on RM "just in case".

I told her she was an apalling creature and she was gob-smacked! "What d'a mean you don't do it?! Practically everyone does these days!"

So it might quieten down in winter, but it doesn't stop completely.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    I agree with Crashy. Some people are always looking.

My old neighbour was one such. I invited her round for supper on Christmas day and she politely refused as she was busy doing other things. They turned out to be spending the afternoon listing her presents on ebay, buying more stuff in the early online sales, then spending the evening on RM "just in case".

I told her she was an apalling creature and she was gob-smacked! "What d'a mean you don't do it?! Practically everyone does these days!"

So it might quieten down in winter, but it doesn't stop completely.

Yep, people won`t trudge through snowdrifts just to have a nosey, but if they see a house they like I bet they will make an effort to view, if the price is right of course....
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    I agree, the "quiet in winter-time" thing is a myth, people are on their phones etc. 24/7 now looking at things they want to buy, including houses, the reason houses are not selling is because the biggest property bubble in history just popped ;)

All the sales stats must be wrong then? Spring is always the most active time. The number of houses on the market has not really changed much in the last few years... Sales volumes have been historically low but there are a lot less buyers and a lot less sellers, my experience is decent houses priced sensibly are still flying off the shelf, those houses that are not quite right for what ever reason (The tiny garden, or tiny 3rd bedroom etc) are not selling as easily as they have pre crash.
  • buggy_boy
    Options

Old news.... But it still shows the spring bounce which is the number of houses sold not the value.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/house-prices-increase-as-buyers-return-to-market-9rwgqdsgj

But the slow spring has caused a increase later in the year.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    I agree. Floorplan is by far the most important to me. From that I can tell how I can live in it. Photos just show the condition, which is relevant but rarely the deciding factor.

If it's a flat like this one is, I also really value a photo of the outside building.

In the area I live in, it is definitely not the norm for house listings on RM to have floor plans. I paid to get some done, but it is very rare to have them
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    All the sales stats must be wrong then? Spring is always the most active time. The number of houses on the market has not really changed much in the last few years... Sales volumes have been historically low but there are a lot less buyers and a lot less sellers, my experience is decent houses priced sensibly are still flying off the shelf, those houses that are not quite right for what ever reason (The tiny garden, or tiny 3rd bedroom etc) are not selling as easily as they have pre crash.

Most of the property in the UK is pretty unremarkable, which makes getting into decades of mortgage debt to buy it even more daft IMO.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Most of the property in the UK is pretty unremarkable, which makes getting into decades of mortgage debt to buy it even more daft IMO.

Well,I'm now living in my very unremarkable home, mortgage paid off. No rent to pay.

Seems to me preferable to living in an unremarkable one with rent to pay for ever.

Like the woman next door paying £1400/month rent to live in a smaller house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure