PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 January 2018 at 9:45PM
    Options
    Monna I did Divinity, and therefore Greek for a year. It’s ok for reading street signs and occasionally menus but apart from that it bears no resemblance to modern Greek. Latin is far more useful.

HardupHester That was quite a dream. I hate it when you wake up and feel like you’ve already done a full day. The night before last pigpen from the Flyladies appeared in mine. Very weird.

Monna You are NOT supposed to be eating cookies.:D

FBO I was thinking about you earlier as I hadn't seen you post for a while (well not in here any road;))
    I hope you're doing ok x

I'm wanting to send my thanks to a Fencer who brought me to tears, but in a good way. The Fencer in question will know who I mean..thank you so much :A

I'm wondering why someone (not me obviously) who has had a blessed life and is inundated with friends who really care can be so abrupt with them when they call to ask how they are doing?

Some folk really don't know how fortunate they are :(

xx

ETA I haven't had chance to read back today so apologies if I've missed something.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Monna I have had a message from karcher she is ok. I hope but is ok too.

So today I managed to fall down the steps into the boat whilst carrying a bucket of coal, fortunately i handed on my bum so apart from some Technicolor bruises and a sore coccyx there was no damage done.

DD1's new dog has settled in very well, she seems to sleep most of the time.

I'm having a slug of sloe gin just before I go to bed so I'm hopeful for a good night's sleep.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »

I am concerned about burtha and Karcher. If either of you reads this, could you please let us know that you are surviving...Not wanting to put any pressure on you but we care

So so sorry Monna, I missed your post :o x

Save your thoughts for Burtha...I often think of her too and hope she is ok.

Thank you HUH x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    FPKHope you feel better soon, blooming annoying when things are cancelled at the last minute, especially after they were due to start :wall:

MMF Loving the tales of your trip, sounds amazing, enjoy every second of it Hun x

HH Ouchhh... I thought retirement was all serene pootling around, and trying to get on Buses before your pass kicks in :D slow down woman x

Karcher Hun you sound so down recently - bigs hugs from this side of the Island too, wish I could pop you down on the sofa next to me, press a glass of wine into your hand and be an ear for you x

Just watched the wild cats programme, and Cilla Black, one of our rescue cats was fascinated, sat in front of the TV all the way through :rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Tv bliss tonight on BBC 4, three history programmes on one after the other. Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots, then Lady Jane Grey finally Fit to Rule.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hester are you trying to join the Clumsy Crew ? Hope you are ok though. Could you ask CHS to rub in some Witch Hazel to bring the bruises out ;). I'm sure he would oblige :D.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope sore throats and sore derrières soon get better!

Today flew by. How come time on a beach / swimming goes much faster than time spent doing chores. Eistein was not right!

I am not an elegant swimmer but I can pootle along back n forth. Usually I am very wary at first, ensuring I can touch the bottom for at least the first few stokes. This year (yes Darlings, I only swim in the [STRIKE]warm[/STRIKE] sunny Caribbean sea - so it is an annual event!) I was confident from the start and managed a reasonable distance on my first swim. I hope all the walking and swimming is counteracting the disbenefits of rum consumption!

I skyped dad today. Somehow we couldn't see mum n dad but our settings were fine and they could see us. I tried to get mum to change her settings but she got a bit flustered so I left it. Dad said it didn't matter cos he could see us and he had so looked forward to it, he said. Awww. He is still surviving on next to no food :(. He did, however, sound better than when we last spoke, assume he was buoyed up by the call. I emailed mum later to get the low down and he is very weak and is still not able to walk. He had also been very confused yester, but was a bit better today, apparently. So, as his main nurse told us weeks ago, it is up and down from day to day.

This evening we are having a communal fish fry. Everyone is bringing some food and drink, and our hosts are providing the fish.
    I feel so fortunate to be able to have this holiday, thanks largely to our lovely friends and to some of my redundancy money :rotfl: Actually I can hardly believe it. Never in my wildest dreams would i have predicted that a Caribbean holiday would feature in my life once, never mind a few times!

What things have other Fencers experienced that exceeded their expectations? For me, even going on an international flight seemed beyond imagining when I was a child!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    MMF, so glad you are having a good time.

NannyW I've always been a klutz, nothings changed, but if CHS touches anywhere I'll decapitate him, lol.

IM I'm laid back but far too scruffy to be serene, I don't have the elegance to be serene.

FPK, what a nuisance about the meeting, I hope you feel better soon.

Monna, I can bounce in bed, lol, but not once I'm out of it.

Karcher, maybe guilt explains your friends attitude, it can do strange things to people.

Well I'm mobile today I did wonder if I'd be stiff. I can walk and sit (carefully) driving is agony as is getting in and out the car, but I'll live to tell another tsle.
    CHS got the coal in this morning and his parting words when I dropped him off were 'Try not to kill yourself today!'
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    :D monna have you slept in today?
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

I managed to sleep until five today, not too long before the alarm. Another WFH day--such a luxury! I've got a list--both today's and the usual 'leftover' to do list from the rest of the week. OH is in the car again so will do the shop on his way home.

Island/ Ivy--no show meetings with an email after the fact happen almost weekly in my job.Actually getting the email without having to chase it up is a bonus. It usually isn't a big deal since I just get on with other work, but I'd dragged myself in ill for this one and this was a repeat offender. Most of our students are lovely, but it takes awhile for them to adjust to adult expectations.

Hester--ouch.

MMF--honestly, what has turned out better than I ever expected? My whole life as it is now. When I stop to think about it I often feel as if I've won some sort of life prize. As a child I read plenty of fiction and thought I'd never see the UK or Europe, much less live here. I took a big risk on pursuing my dream job and thought I'd probably work lots of short term contracts for years before giving up..then landed my dream job in the location I wanted the first year I started really looking. I love the place I live. My OH and I are quite contented, he is happy in his job and although we'll never be rich we make enough that if we're careful with savings and prioritize we'll eventually have the things that are important to us, things my parents could never afford growing up like a house and the ability to travel. I never expected any of this.

This seems hilarious now, but as a child I'd read lots of books set in old country houses and of course the CS Lewis books. Growing up in the states, we always had closets rather than wardrobes and I desperately wanted an old fashioned wardrobe thinking they were romantic and sites of mystery and magic. I remember being utterly thrilled when we moved overseas the first time and I had one...with a key no less!

Monna, you know adrenaline can be such a bonus at times. A month or so before I started I wondered how I'd cope with lecturing and if I'd get nervous since I'd only done a few lectures to larger groups before. Three months later I suddenly realized I'be been lecturing to large crowds without even noticing. I barely remember the first one, I guess I just walked in and got on with it. I was too busy to think about it :rotfl: The performance is exhausting, but exhilarating when you see a face click with something new and interesting.

As for bouncing out of bed, I'm an early riser but even I prefer to ease into the day...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback