Can I cancel car insurance before the insurance company does?

Long story short, I'm with carrot insurance and I'm tearing my hair out with them. I've fought continuously with them but enough is enough. They sent me an email today stating that I did not comply with their conditions (I did) and so in 7 days time, my policy will be cancelled (On 17/12/2018)

My question is, if I cancel the policy tomorrow, would I still have to claim on future policies that I've had a policy cancelled? Even though the cancellation is not effective until next Monday?

Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Call them and pay any money owed and cross your fingers they dont report the cancellation.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Call them and pay any money owed and cross your fingers they dont report the cancellation.

Unfortunately I can't just cross my fingers and hope they don't report it. I don't want to end up with another cancelled policy for my own ignorance
  • They sent me an email today stating that I did not comply with their conditions (I did)
    If everything is above board, have you started their complaints proceedure yet?

I don't want to end up with another cancelled policy
    "another"? Without more info it's difficult to comment.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Unfortunately I can't just cross my fingers and hope they don't report it. I don't want to end up with another cancelled policy for my own ignorance

They are going to cancel the policy anyway, so crossing your fingers appears to be the best hope you have.

Dont cancel and settle all money owed and they 101% will have marked your policy as cancelled.

What choice do you have? Time is not on your side, a complaint is most likely to be way outside the time you have left.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• If everything is above board, have you started their complaints proceedure yet?

"another"? Without more info it's difficult to comment.

I have started the complaints procedure, unfortunately, Monday 17th will likely come around before I get a response from the company

In terms of "another", it comes down to my question. If I call up and cancel my policy myself today, would I still have to declare on future policies that the company cancelled my insurance despite the fact that the cancellation is not effective until 17/12/2018? If I cross my fingers and hope that they don't report it, but they do and I haven't declared it, it's very likely that a new policy would be cancelled as well which is just even more of a mess.

I just want to know for certain that if I cancel myself later today, would that count as me cancelling my policy or would I still have to declare that they cancelled it?
  • They are going to cancel the policy anyway, so crossing your fingers appears to be the best hope you have.

Dont cancel and settle all money owed and they 101% will have marked your policy as cancelled.

What choice do you have? Time is not on your side, a complaint is most likely to be way outside the time you have left.

I know that either way, the policy would be cancelled. All I'm asking is if I cancel the policy myself today, bearing in mind that the insurance company will be cancelling my insurance as of 17/12/2018 themselves, would I still have to declare on future insurance policies that I have had a policy cancelled (for reasons other than cancelling it myself)
  • The only people who can answer your question are the insurance company themselves.

Personally I would say that you cancelling would make no difference as they've already informed you that they're cancelling it.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2018 at 2:31PM
    The only people who can answer your question are the insurance company themselves.

Personally I would say that you cancelling would make no difference as they've already informed you that they're cancelling it.
    I agree, the only way to know, is cancel and then ask. They may just be giving the op a chance to cancel the policy.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Ask them as advised above

If they give you the reply you want (that by cancelling yourself they won't record this as a cancelled contract that you need to disclose to future insurers), then ask them to confirm this to you in writing and keep the confirmation on file for ever more!
  • The only people who can answer your question are the insurance company themselves.

How so?
    My reasoning would be

Taking this absolutly literally if OP cancels then it is not possible subsequently for Carrot to cancel the policy as it is no longer in existance and is therefore not capable of being cancelled
    Therefore the answer to "Have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled?" must by definition be NO
    However IANAL and this is only to be interpreted as my opinion.
    JumbleBumble
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport