Can I cancel car insurance before the insurance company does?

Options
2»

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Insurers have to give notice of cancellation, hence the 7 days of grace so that policy holders aren't caught out driving insured

It would not be wise to take your view that you can negate a cancellation by saying I am going to cancel in the notice period and my misdemeanor which has caused the cancellation won't be placed on record.

The OP should follow the advice to check whether the cancellation is expunged if they jump off before getting pushed!

Not disclosing a previously cancelled policy could cause major issues in the future!
  • Paul_DNAP
    Options
    It's too late now, the policy has already been cancelled, and will be reported by them as being cancelled. As Quentin says, what they have informed you of is notice of the date that the cover will end and not the date the policy will be cancelled.

So if you cancel now all you are doing is shortening the gap between it being cancelled and the cover ending, you are not going to be preventing it from being cancelled.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is it being cancelled?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »

Guessing due to a previously undelcared cancelled policy?
    Post #3 " I don't want to end up with another cancelled policy "
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DinosaursLayEggs
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    It's too late now, the policy has already been cancelled, and will be reported by them as being cancelled. As Quentin says, what they have informed you of is notice of the date that the cover will end and not the date the policy will be cancelled.

So if you cancel now all you are doing is shortening the gap between it being cancelled and the cover ending, you are not going to be preventing it from being cancelled.

The exact wording on the email that they sent me is "We have no choice but to cancel your policy in 7 days time". My understanding of that is that they have not yet cancelled it rather than it has already been cancelled. I've been through this before with the same company, and they managed to revert the cancellation back to a warning which I'm not sure they can do if it has already been cancelled
  • DinosaursLayEggs
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »

Essentially, they believe that I'm driving without using the app. What initially raised this issue is that my car is insured for 8000 miles, but since taking out the policy in July, I've only used approximately 2000 miles, and therefore have used left miles that what they anticipate me to. I drive maximum twice a week, every second week (approx 30 miles each way, so about 120 miles per month).

Now the conditions of my policy are that I must always have the app running, always have bluetooth on, always have my phone on, always be connected to the internet (either through wifi or 3G), and always have location services on. According to Carrot, my app randomly disconnects for long periods of time, which they believe is due to me closing the app, or turning off my phone, or bluetooth, etc. This is not the case, I have the app constantly running, it's tracking the journeys I make, and I never turn my bluetooth off.

This is actually the third time I've been through this with the company and I can't deal with it anymore. It's more effort than it's worth. I just want to know if I can cancel my policy before they do, therefore not having to declare it on future policies
  • DinosaursLayEggs
    Options
    Guessing due to a previously undelcared cancelled policy?

I've never had a policy cancelled. That was in reference to your post, suggesting to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

If I still have to declare that my policy is cancelled even if i cancel it before their cancellation is effective, then fine, I'll have to do that. But what I don't want is to think I don't have to declare it (when I actually would have to) and then risking getting a second insurance cancelled on top of my current one
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ...... I just want to know if I can cancel my policy before they do, therefore not having to declare it on future policies

As advised, you cannot take any advice on this from a forum.

You need to see if your insurer will allow you to jump before the notice period ends.

As advised, if they agree not to place the cancellation on the records get it confirmed in writing from them that you don't have to disclose this to other insurers you approach for cover, and unless they provide this then you should declare this to future Insurers!
  • societys_child
    Options
    "We have no choice but to cancel your policy in 7 days time".
    That throws a significantly different light on it.
    My understanding of that is that they have not yet cancelled it rather than it has already been cancelled.
    Agree with your interpretation, cancel before the 7 days, but phone and check, and as above get it in writing. Don't lose that email.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2018 at 3:36PM
    Options
    That throws a significantly different light on it.

Agree with your interpretation, cancel before the 7 days, but phone and check, and as above get it in writing. Don't lose that email.

This is in my view far too complicated and it is the insurers basically playing the fool
    In best lawyer form you just need to ask two questions in 8 day's time
    Did the insurance company cancel the policy Yes or No
    Did you cancel the policy Yes or No
    If any insurance company is concerned by your situation why on earth are they not asking
    Have you ever been notified that a poilcy was to be cancelled in 7 days time Yes or No
    However I do not disagree that not gretting clsrification this may lead to a world of pain
    If it were me I would be checking with MID or CUE and seeing what the cancelation was listed as.
    If I was not happy I would go to ombudsman as i b elieve firmly in making companies behave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure