Inheritance and student loan repayment

Options
If parents have money to help their child with a deposit for buying a house and getting a mortgage- but their child has a student loan-(child is not earning enough to repay yet) what is the best thing to do? Can the parents pay the deposit as a gift when a house is found or would the money be subject to paying the loan?Can students with a loan receive an inheritance- would that count towards earnings and loan repayment? Also, are students with loans able to save in the help to buy ISA . Would that be considered as money that should repay loan or is it exempt?

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need to worry, a gift or inheritance is not earnings for student loan repayment purposes.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,044 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Think of the student loan as a graduate tax.

Students can receive gifts, loans, inheritances without it effecting their loan.

They can also make savings without paying extra towards their loan.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • *starrysky*
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. What about the Help to Buy scheme where the government will add 25% of what you save in this account? Would this government bonus be counted as earnings.? I believe if you have more than £2000 in savings that earns interest, this is considered earnings and is added to your income, so would the Help to Buy bonus be counted as the same?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. What about the Help to Buy scheme where the government will add 25% of what you save in this account? Would this government bonus be counted as earnings.? I believe if you have more than £2000 in savings that earns interest, this is considered earnings and is added to your income, so would the Help to Buy bonus be counted as the same?

No, none of that is relevant to the student loan.
  • sueclifton
    Options
    Hi

So am I right in thinking if my son is included in a house purchase from his grandparent this won't go against him having to pay back extra funds to his student loan ? Therefore he will be part owner of a property. Thanks
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sueclifton wrote: »
    Hi

So am I right in thinking if my son is included in a house purchase from his grandparent this won't go against him having to pay back extra funds to his student loan ? Therefore he will be part owner of a property. Thanks

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No student loan implications but he will no longer get the first time buyer stamp duty relief if he buys another property at a later date and may have to pay the 3% additional stamp duty if it is a gift rather than 50% or less inheritance from grandparents.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure