Car Insurance - Without Drive Assist!

Options

Comments

• Sunday_Morning
    Options
    It's nice to know other media sources are interested, but I feel the first opportunity should go to who drew attention to the "scam" in the first place. Hence I sent this email off today to the guy who did the Guardian article mentioned earlier in the thread...

Your article of Saturday July 21 2007 was very interesting. The letters you had received on he company clearly indicted to me a company that was eager to "try it on" to get money out of those who would put up and say no more.

I rebelled. They backed down. But they still left me with a nasty taste in the mouth.

I was wondering....do you follow stories like this up? I put my story down in the forum on moneysavingexpert.... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=552905 which is how I came across your article.

I know that others are still being pressed for money by the company to settle "unproven" claims.

Do these guys have a licence to print money and does anyone regulate them at all!!

Regards

Sunday Morning

The more I think about what happened to me and what I know is happening to others, the more I think this company are embarked upon a fraudulent exercise to con their "customers" out of money.

But of course...that's just my opinion! They MAY be a perfectly upstanding company and I may have got them all wrong.

It's just that I don't think I have :-)
  • Lammy
    Options
    Hi all,

First post. I had the 'pleasure' of dealing with Drive Assist last week. Had their Ford Ka for three weeks and agreed to pay a CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) at £21 a week (for a maximum of 3 weeks). This was a non-fault accident whereby my mother's car was smashed up at 2am by a van that lost control, while her car was parked up and stationary whilst my mother was asleep in her house unaware of what happened until she woke up.

So after 3 weeks of use, Drive Assist phoned me to tell me that I would have to return the car as there is a legal loophole meaning that the third party's insurers could stop paying for the use of the car if I don't make a decision on the offer that was given to me immediately. Then I would have to pay the £65 per day charge for the car. As I wasn't happy with my insurance company's offer I said I will be declining the offer and they could take their car back as I wasn't going to be forced to say yes to the offer just so I could keep their car for a bit longer. After I said they could take the car back, it was sitting there for another 8 days. I phoned them to say that I wanted the car removed ASAP as it was now in my way. They said they would be collecting the car by 1pm the next day at the latest. Anyway, the next day arrives and I hadn't heard anything by 12pm so I phoned them again and they denied all knowledge of our conversation the day before. I was not pleased. The car was finally collected the day after and my mother signed their PDA. Needless to say that the car was in the same condition as when I got it. A letter arrived this morning stating that their was damage to the car. They mentioned scratches, excessively dirty, no petrol left in it (even though there was more than when they gave it to me). They also said that if any more damage was found they would be charging me accordingly. Absolutely shocking seeing as they were mentioned on Watchdog a couple of days ago. I will wait and see if they try and sting me but I guess the fact that I opted to pay the CDW, I must be protected. Here's hoping. One things for sure, I hope to never need to use their services again.
  • Sunday_Morning
    Options
    Lammy

Thanks for the info re Watchdog. I'm gutted to have missed the programme, not knowing they were on it. Their reaction strikes me as being similar to the one after they were featured in the Guardian article...namely to put their hands up, notify that no one will be charged after all, hope this reaction nullifies any further complaints about them and puts them back under the radar, then resume business as usual!

You'll be aware that your case is not a unique one by any means. Nonetheless I'd say that leaving the car at your place for over eight days is incredible. They surely have an obligation to pick it up at their earliest convenience, especially you would be liable for anything that happened to it in that time. I certainly couldn't see why you should be held responsible for keeping it clean all that time!

Perhaps it might be an idea to submit them an invoice in respect of charges incurred for letting them keep their vehicle on your property all that time! I might suggest they are very similar to the amount that they are now claiming from you :-).

Anyway, let us know how you get on. I think this is the kind of company that deserves to be kept in the spotlight.

I'd still like to know if these PDA's they use have any legal standing. Seems strange they can present a signature as something of "evidence" when that signature is provided only as requested to confirm the release of the car and not to admit, (nor even to have the knowledge of) any damage they claim the signature acknowledges.

But most of all I'd like to know if there are insurance companies out there who shield their customers from their outsourcing, and instead deal on a one to one with basis with all aspects of an insurance claim, whether that involves attempting to first recover any excess from the party at fault rather than charge their customers automatically, through to the direct arranging of a coutesy car if required.

My insurance was purchased through Zurich UK, which is what bought me into contact with Drive Assist in the first place. that experience has not opnly put me off Drive Assist, but any insurance company that uses them. Hence I'll be looking elsewhere to renew my car insurance come January.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it legal for them to transfer the signature from the pda to a sheet of paper?
    i signed on the pda, yet they have sent me a sheet of paper which seems to have my signature on it.
    i was never asked to or given any paper to sign
    Nice to save.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems like Drive Assist like to bump up their fees with spurious claims about scratches and damage. There's too many Drive Assist claims of damage to be true.

Seems like the moral of the story is to refuse to sign the PDA. Anything could later be amended on the PDA. Give the pick-up driver a letter saying that you refuse to sign and note the time and date of pick up and that the car is in good nick. Then use a video camera in front of the pick-up driver and film the car in detail. Even film the pick-up driver too! If they want to play dirty then the only way to behave is to get dirty or cover yourself.
    The man without a signature.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    good ideas vikingaero, i wish i had thought of these before as well.
    Nice to save.
  • Sunday_Morning
    Options
    Now I am armed with hindsight, that is certainly something I would do. Hopefully this thread helps to arm others without them having to go through the experience.

I'd love to see someone conduct an independent audit on the company to see, for example, whether every bit of damage they claim was on the returned cars, was either repaired there and then (for the cost claimed), or listed as existing damage when provided to the next customer.
  • Sunday_Morning
    Options
    Rab

I understand that following the Watchdog programme, Drive Assist dropped all the claims against those who were protesting about their charges through the programme.

Have the claims against you been dropped yet?
  • Jue_xx
    Jue_xx Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We caught Watchdog last night. I didn't see the originial programme with the Drive Assist article, but my ears certainly pricked up last night when I heard their name! I too have been in dispute with DA regarding unfairly charging for alleged scratches, so I immediately sent them an email to their designated email address, copying Watchdog in it too, attaching the letters I had sent them earlier in the year disputing their damage claims.

Fingers crossed I'll get my £160.00 back.
    Extra Payment Every Week Challenge:
    Week 1: £29.68
    Week 2: £14.95
    Week 3: £5.05
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business