Hotpoint Hell Fridge freezer

Options
Moved into a new build. The builder had put in cheap poor quality Hotpoint appliances.

Been having problems with the noise level of the built in Fridge freezer. At least 15 dB louder than it should be.
Contacted Hotpoint twice, unresolved and the 2nd time the repair person was told the FF had to be tested in an acoustic chamber to verify the sound levels. Then we got a bill in for no fault found.

A total disgrace. We will never buy Hotpoint or whirlpool again. Spread the word!!!!!

Comments

• Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    happyc84 wrote: »
    Moved into a new build. The builder had put in cheap poor quality Hotpoint appliances.

Been having problems with the noise level of the built in Fridge freezer. At least 15 dB louder than it should be.
    Contacted Hotpoint twice, unresolved and the 2nd time the repair person was told the FF had to be tested in an acoustic chamber to verify the sound levels. Then we got a bill in for no fault found.

A total disgrace. We will never buy Hotpoint or whirlpool again. Spread the word!!!!!

Thanks. Mine is nearly 18 years old in my new build and I really could not give a flying monkey about it!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We moved into a new build in 2000 and bought all Hotpoint appliances. The washing machine was the first to go in 2011 followed by the tumble dryer in 2013, both replaced with Hotpoint equivalents and the replacements are going well. The oven and hob also got replaced in 2013 as part of a kitchen make over (both were still working but the oven was struggling to maintain the higher temperatures) - again both replaced with Hotpoints, still going well - it just crossed my mind that the oven and hob are 5 years old now, where does time go?

My 'cheap poor quality' Hotpoint dishwasher is still going strong as is the fridge freezer - neither having missed a beat during the last 18 years. The Fridge Freezer lived in the house until 2010 but got moved to the garage when SWMBO wanted a larder fridge. Since moving the Fridge Freezer has taken a bit of abuse (it has been moved several times and has various dents knocks and scores, but still struggles on). Also, the Fridge Freezer is as quiet as it ever was - you cannot hear apart from it clicks to turn on and off and the compressor gets up to speed.

The first larder fridge was a Bosch which lasted from 2010 to 2015. I was going to get it repaired but a sale came on in Currys for a Beko which I decided to go for instead. The Beko is still running fine although I am not convinced it is as cold as the Hotpoint.

Maybe you just got a Monday morning machine or maybe your expectations were incorrect. The engineer is correct, unless the sound is verified in a proper acoustic chamber the figures are meaningless.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting comments, not sure what the first one was on about.

Would be interested to know if anyone has been able to get a resolution with the manufacture regarding an extremely loud built in Fridge freezer.

Also what makes are good for low noise ie Bosch?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is the specified volume range and what levels are your sound meter picking up? Have you shown the manufacturer your readings?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you checked it's not the way it's installed that is causing the noise? Have you got the clearances specified in the user manual, for example? If it's too tight a fit in the aperture, the noise might be exacerbated by vibrating contact with the back wall, cabinets either side or the underside of the worktop. If there isn't enough ventilation space the compressor might be working overtime to get the temperature down. It's built in? Is the cupboard door you've attached fixed properly? That's something else that could vibrate and amplify noise.
  • happyc84
    Options
    The tech spec states 42dB, the on-site meter reading is 55-60dB. I remember that sound levels are on a logarithmic scale. Not really practical to take the ff to an acoustic chamber. Have contact the manufacture twice.
  • indiekiduk
    indiekiduk Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nowadays a single brand can have models made all over the world it is no longer possible to just talk about one brand name versus another. In Currys you'll find 2 Samsung machines sitting next to each other one Poland and the other China and the reliability can be different.
  • happyc84
    Options
    whirlpool who billed me for the 2nd visit, now say that the flooring was the cause of the high sound level readings. Funny that their Engineer didn't have a sound meter other than his ears.

had expected them to replace the compressor but they are making it up every time I call them.

Anyone had any experience with them?
  • Frillyk
    Options
    I have a Hotpoint Ice Diamond that won't go cold. What am I missing please anyone?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you plugged it in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts