wood burning stove gasket

Options
Our stove, Aarrow Sherborne medium needs a real overhaul to get it back up to scratch. I'll do it myself but am struggling to find the gaskets for the glass doors. Do I need to use the same type of gasket that came with the stove or are there universal types that I can use?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can get door seal kits from sources such as ebay - They come with fibreglass rope and a suitable adhesive so that you can fit it yourself.

If you mean the seal between the glass and door frame, then the same as above applies. It is simply fibreglass rope to seal the gap which can be purchased from any number of sources. If you are having to dismantle the door, just watch out for bolts & screws that have rusted solid - There is a chance that they will snap off even after a liberal soaking with penetrating oil. If that happens, they will need to be drilled out and new threads cut.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My Aarrow had a flat tape making the seal between glass and door. This was easily obtainable from a local stove shop. I found that it slid out easily and I probably should have glued it.

The Sherborne's glass gasket set seems to be made with the same sort of tape and costs about £23 which seems extortionate, but it comes with clips which might be essential.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure