Got my stove, what else do I need?

Options
Fitting my multifuel stove next week, but what else do I need?

Getting a log store and a builders bag of kiln dried wood on order.

But do I need a companion set? Log basket? Log carrier? Coal bucket? Shovel and brush? Stove thermometer? Moisture meter?

I will be burning smokeless coal and logs

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here are some things I can think of:-

Something to carry and/or keep logs in. I just use an old holdall for carrying the logs, because it's easy to carry one handed, while the log basket needs two. The more logs you can keep indoors, or at least readily accessible, the better. You may find that you can't store enough logs in a basket.

A companion set can be useful, and usually includes a small shovel and brush. But the most useful tool I have is an old toasting fork from a junk shop.

You'll need kindling, and something to store it in. If you're buying smokeless fuel, you need something for that as well.

You'll need something to put the ash into so you can carry it outside. I just use a plastic tub, once the ash is cool.

A moisture meter is nice to have, but hardly essential. I don't have room on my flue pipe for a thermometer.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 6:51AM
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about any of those things. Some people get very paranoid about keeping the stove temp in the "ideal" section of the dial - where in practice the temp will rise and fall as the fuel is burned. When the fire is dying down a little, the temp will quite possibly fall into the dreaded "creosote zone" and you will start to panic. While there's no reason at all to do so as anything that will form creosote will have long since departed up the chimney. So buy one if you must - but don't be a slave to it.

We carry logs in from the store in a "bag for life" - seems to hold just the right amount for an afternoon to bed time fire. Ash goes out in a tied up bread bag once it's cooled.

I'd advise against burning smokeless and wood together, and suggest either or. They like completely opposite treatment in a stove - wood likes a bed of ash and the combustion air from above - smokeless likes a clean grate and air from below. Burn them together and you'll always be compromising one of them.

Bear in mind that kiln dried will always be a fair chunk more expensive than naturally seasoned as it always tends to be flogged as some sort of super fuel. In reality, much of the time it's at a higher moisture content than decent air dried stuff - most dryers work to a 20% moisture content. Air dried in a decent year will be 16 - 17%. I'd never advise anyone to buy kd unless it was a last resort - buy seasoned or part seasoned early in the year - stick it in the store and let nature dry it. I see in the other thread you started you said you wouldn't buy kd logs but in this one you said you are doing?

Don't know what sort of log store you've got - if it's a kit from ebay or somewhere it will probably hold about a weeks worth. A few pallets and a bit of roofing felt will give you a bigger and probably better built store for a lot less cash.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    You'll need something to put the ash into so you can carry it outside. I just use a plastic tub, once the ash is cool.

I used to use a plastic bucket for ash until I scooped some hot embers out. Melted the bottom of the bucket....

Get a metal bucket - Much safer, and coal will generate quite a bit more ash than wood. If you have space, a fliptop ash tidy is a good idea.
    ash-carrier-tippy.jpg
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Greenfires wrote: »

Don't know what sort of log store you've got - if it's a kit from ebay or somewhere it will probably hold about a weeks worth. A few pallets and a bit of roofing felt will give you a bigger and probably better built store for a lot less cash.

The log store holds 2 builders bags full, approx 1m3 bit worried now about how long this will last, will just be using on an evening approx 6 hours
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    I used to use a plastic bucket for ash until I scooped some hot embers out. Melted the bottom of the bucket....

Get a metal bucket - Much safer, and coal will generate quite a bit more ash than wood. If you have space, a fliptop ash tidy is a good idea.
    ash-carrier-tippy.jpg
    And get an original one from the people who invented it, made in Britain -- not one of the cheap Chinese copies!

They are called Tippy and I've had two (different sized stoves). Lovely people to deal with too (and I'm a customer with no connection, obviously).

http://www.tippyash.co.uk/
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Greenfires wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about any of those things. Some people get very paranoid about keeping the stove temp in the "ideal" section of the dial - where in practice the temp will rise and fall as the fuel is burned. When the fire is dying down a little, the temp will quite possibly fall into the dreaded "creosote zone" and you will start to panic. While there's no reason at all to do so as anything that will form creosote will have long since departed up the chimney. So buy one if you must - but don't be a slave to it.

<snipped>

I agree with almost everything Greenfires says there - especially about kiln dried logs and the supposed need for a thermometer. Here is a link to another site where they are less than convinced about thermometers. It makes interesting reading.

http://woodheat.org/thermometers.html
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't you 'legally' have to have a CO alarm?
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    A tippy tin is very useful, as is a poker and a brush and pan

A carbon monoxide alarm is a must

Toasting fork is a nice addition

A fireguard is important of you have young children

I use a cheap bamboo linen basket for the logs which has a liner so the spiders are contained :)

We use a cheap vacuum to hoover the stove out now and then
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Don't you 'legally' have to have a CO alarm?

Already got one, plus the firm who are fitting my stove fit one too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport