PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Happy/sad trip to Otley this afty. Found a b/n M & S pure silk chiffon smocky top in shades of dusty pink....£1 in AgeUK.:) Then saw elderly woman knocked down by car in main street. All roads closed off and had to wait over an hour for a bus home. Since heard poor woman has serious but not life threatening injuries :(

Ooh dear. Hope she is ok.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Ploppy57,
    To everyone, what brands do you tend to look out for the most in a charity shop?

My faves tend to be LK Bennett, Hobbs, Phase Eight, White Stuff & Autograph (M & S) :)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 March 2018 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    My faves tend to be LK Bennett, Hobbs, Phase Eight, White Stuff & Autograph (M & S) :)

I also look for Hobbs, White Stuff, Berketex, LK Bennett, Laura Ashley, Coast, Autograph, Fat Face, Seasalt and The White Company.
    Per Una - have bought their jeans in a charity shop.
    Found a lovely good quality scarf from TU
    Molton Brown smellies (not B&H).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 6 March 2018 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Ploppy57, I agree. Mantaray has this seaside chic aesthetic that I really love. (Sorry- I don't know how to quote messages on my phone :mad:)

To everyone, what brands do you tend to look out for the most in a charity shop?
    An earlier reply:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Laredouter - welcome to the thread.
    You have some nice brands in your bargains.
    I keep my eye open for Seasalt, Joules, White Stuff, Fat Face & Boden.
    Mantaray has dropped off my radar somewhat.
    From other posters' lists, I'd add M&S Autograph, LK Bennett, Hobbs, Coast, maybe Per Una and Monsoon.
    I love Next leggings.

Re Asda (George), I think they actually do some decent quality stuff.
    And regular posters on the thread will know I regard (some) TU clothing high in quality.
    I've said lots of times that I'd match TU jersey against Per Una and Monsoon.

Miro - poor lady. I too hope she'll be OK and that she has someone to care for her.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    An earlier reply:

From other posters' lists, I'd add M&S Autograph, LK Bennett, Hobbs, Coast, maybe Per Una and Monsoon.
    I love Next leggings.

Re Asda (George), I think they actually do some decent quality stuff.
    And regular posters on the thread will know I regard (some) TU clothing high in quality.
    I've said lots of times that I'd match TU jersey against Per Una and Monsoon.

Miro - poor lady. I too hope she'll be OK and that she has someone to care for her.

Ooh yes I like TU, out of all the supermarket ranges, they are the best.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Just got home and tried on my latest bargain:
    Old Navy jersey dress with a grey yoke and sleeves (3/4) with a black bottom.
    Knee length on me so good with thick tights and ankle boots.

Very smart

£1.00 Air Ambulance.

Googling appears to bring up US websites with Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic being under the same umbrella.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I look for high end brands normally, but if I see something I like it doesn't matter. For example, I found a lovely DP skirt in a stunning fabric which is SO me - colours, pattern everything. Or I purchased 2 New Look cardigans because they were nice styles and a very useful. But I wouldn't normally shop there. Or I found a gorgeous fake fur gilet from a brand I've never heard of, but when I got home it was reasonably upmarket. More importantly, I love the item!

I look for Laura Ashley, Cath Kidston, Seasalt, Land's End and Phase Eight. Used to look for White Stuff but it's not sought after any more and the quality is not there. Boden I see a lot of, but it's not my style. You have to be careful with a lot of brands now because people don't know how to wash jersey fabric properly and so it ends up all bobbled and stretched because they put it in a normal 40 degree wash (hence why it's in the chazzer). See a lot of Phase Eight that's been treated badly and they still ask £15 + for it!). Or, I see formerly stunning, high end velvet or crushed velvet pieces that have had the iron put on them or got stained. (Again, the chaser's ask ridiculous amounts for them just because of the label. Though I've haggled over staining before on high end brands).

I LOVE vintage, so if the piece is a great piece I'll buy it - often handmade. But I look for Liberty, Laura Ashley, Dollyrockers, sometimes even St Michael from M&S can be good.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    I look for Laura Ashley, Cath Kidston, Seasalt, Land's End and Phase Eight. Used to look for White Stuff but it's not sought after any more and the quality is not there. Boden I see a lot of, but it's not my style.

I have never seen Boden in a chazzer. Lucky you! I go for the same brands as a lot of you. I don't go for supermarket brands unless they are 50p. I can't bring myself to pay £4 for something that was £10 new. I also look out for petite ranges as they are soooo expensive to buy usually. I need petite suits for work and they are often around the £100-200 mark new. I have managed to find some great barely-worn ones in chazzers. I recently got some Edinburgh Woollen Mill blouses and was surprised how stylish they were and what good quality too.
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    You have to be careful with a lot of brands now because people don't know how to wash jersey fabric properly and so it ends up all bobbled and stretched because they put it in a normal 40 degree wash (hence why it's in the chazzer).

I always examine clothes carefully. I always look at the washing label as washing labels always seem to fade and get limp with washing. If the text is still bright and the label is not floppy it often means the item was barely worn.
  • funnyfreckle
    Options
    I'm addicted to charity shops and this thread! I need to share today's excitement with someone and none of my friends get the charity shop thing! So, I'm afraid I have a bit of a long story to share ...

My daughter has been really poorly with ME for 15 months. She should be doing GCSEs this summer and since the New Year all the girls in her year have been posting photos of their (very expensive) prom dresses on What's App. It seems to be all they talk about but as she can't walk for more than a minute going to the prom is definitely not a possibility for her. However, I have a little hope that she might be able to go for half an hour at the beginning to have photos with her friends and have the excitement of seeing everyone arrive in their finery.

Sorry ...I told you this would be long! Just by chance, a couple of days ago, I stumbled across a Facebook post saying that a local charity shop had brand new prom dresses for sale for £9.99. You can park outside so I took my daughter today and I found 3 dresses in her size that I thought she might like. I was able to carry them to the car so she could see them and bought two for her to try on at home. She only tried one on as she fell in love with it straight away and it fits like a dream. She looks gorgeous (if I may say so!). So she can hang the dress in the wardrobe knowing that Cinders can go to the ball for a little while if she is able and if not she won't feel guilty for having an expensive dress she can't use. Although by rights she does have an expensive dress as I looked it up online and found the exact same dress for sale for over £200!!
    :j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Funnyfreckles - what a lovely story. :T

And of course you may say your daughter looks gorgeous (and I'm sure she does ;)).
    Fingers crossed she gets chance to wear her dream dress. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure