PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please.

Options
Not sure if this is in the correct section, so please move if it isn't

Currently a tenant privately renting a property.
Had a gas engineer round today on behalf of the landlord for a Gas safety check.
They've deemed the boiler unsafe due to three different things.
I'm just wondering what my rights are, as we are now without hot water, and have no way of heating the home, or getting washed etc...
This is a HUGE inconvenience and I'm unsure what to do whilst we wait. I need access to a shower at least!

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Have you been given a timeline for it to be fixed/replaced?

Has the LL contacted someone to fix it?

Have you heard from the LL?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can the LL supply a heater? Boil water? Wash by hand?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mylo0811 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the correct section, so please move if it isn't

Currently a tenant privately renting a property.
    Had a gas engineer round today on behalf of the landlord for a Gas safety check.
    They've deemed the boiler unsafe due to three different things.
    I'm just wondering what my rights are, as we are now without hot water, and have no way of heating the home, or getting washed etc...
    This is a HUGE inconvenience and I'm unsure what to do whilst we wait. I need access to a shower at least!

Thank you in advance for any advice.

It will take the same length of time to sort out as it would if you owned the house and the boiler.

Ask the landord for something to heat the bits of the house that need to be heated (the ones you are using at a time.)

Boil the kettle for hot water for washing. If you have a hot water tank is there an immersion heater?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Have you established with the landlord/landlady what happens if the fuel bills increase temporarily because of this (with electric being a dearer fuel than gas)?
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can buy bucket immersion heaters for heating a big bucket of water that you can then use for washing.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    You can buy bucket immersion heaters for heating a big bucket of water that you can then use for washing.

That's handy for the landlord/landlady to know:D
  • Mylo0811
    Mylo0811 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    Have you been given a timeline for it to be fixed/replaced?

Has the LL contacted someone to fix it?

Have you heard from the LL?

No, not yet.
    I've not been able to get hold of the landlord yet, I am trying.
    m0bov wrote: »
    Can the LL supply a heater? Boil water? Wash by hand?

Once I get in touch with him I'll ask him.
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    It will take the same length of time to sort out as it would if you owned the house and the boiler.

Ask the landord for something to heat the bits of the house that need to be heated (the ones you are using at a time.)

Boil the kettle for hot water for washing. If you have a hot water tank is there an immersion heater?

So a while then :eek:
    If I owned the house, I'd have emergency cover for something like this so it would be sorted ASAP.

No tank, all the hot water runs off the boiler.
    Have you established with the landlord/landlady what happens if the fuel bills increase temporarily because of this (with electric being a dearer fuel than gas)?

This is a question I'd like to ask, but not sure how to... It's definitely going to cost me more, off to buy an electric heater now, as it's bloody freezing!

Didn't know this, how much is that likely to set me back though :/
    Could you fill the bath, then heat it with an immersion heater? Obviously removing it once it's hot.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mylo0811 wrote: »
    I need access to a shower at least!
    Are there showers at work?
    Gym?
    Swimming pool?
    Friends?
    Relatives?
    Neighbours?
    Landlord's house? :D
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's handy for the landlord/landlady to know:D

Yet again you are confusing what you think should happen with the landlord's legal responsibilities.
  • Mylo0811
    Mylo0811 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am more wondering about my rights.
    If he fixes it pronto then great, but if I'm days or even weeks without hot water. That to me is not acceptable. I'm paying £850 a month, and the boiler has been installed incorrectly. Which means whoever did the safety certificate I currently have didn't do it properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure