PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please.

Options
124»

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, having just had a boiler breakdown, the LL has acted reasonably quickly.

However I am still out of pocket. I will be asking the LL to pick up the difference. Whilst I'm on shaky ground legally, they may agree and it be mutually convenient.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    They've deemed your boiler unsafe but it still works doesn't it? I'd chance it and switch it on for a shower once a day.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I can confirm this. I have boiler/central heating repair cover with British gas and they've always managed to squeeze me in the very next day. Not so this week!

Made an appointment on Sunday and the earliest they can get here is Thursday. In the meantime I've borrowed 4 heaters to stave off the chill. Your landlord won't be able to magic up a tradie to come look at the boiler any quicker than you could arrange it yourself I'm afraid.

That may depend on how things are in OP's particular area.

I had problems with my central heating Sunday and the plumber I have found here turned up the next day and sorted it.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    They've deemed your boiler unsafe but it still works doesn't it? I'd chance it and switch it on for a shower once a day.

I think that may not be the worlds best advice.

If it's deemed unsafe - then it may just "go off on one" at a time OP had done that. Two results from that = OP possibly injured. The second result being = OP would be unlikely to get any compensation for the injury (as they would have been deemed to have received appropriate warning not to use it).
  • cjmillsnun
    Options

It’s a problem with the flue. It’s been switched off for a reason. If flue gases are leaking back into the property there is a strong likelihood that the main gas will be carbon monoxide. As someone who works in the gas industry I would say your advice could result in loss of life. When the problem is this or a gas escape, isolating the boiler until it is repaired or replaced is the only safe option.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure