Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redboy1 wrote: »
    Sorry, Im a bit new to all this. Quidco ? I keep seeing it mentioned but not sure how it works.
    Did you get the £30 aswell ?

Also does anyone see energy prices coming down in the future ? not sure to go for the 12month fix or till 2014

Go to the Shopping tab on the MSE homepage. Go down to the bottom almost and you will see a link to the Top Cashback sites page which should guide you through.

No I only the £70 because I chose to buy via Quidco (the cashback site that I use, although there are others). I didn't buy via the Comparison site. With cashback sites there are two important things to remember 1) clear your cookies do that your purchase tracks correctly 2) cashback is not guaranteed so dont base your purchasing decision on it.

The NPower cashback was especially good - not all offers are that good but it is amazing what you can get cashback on. I've earned £500 in the last 18 months - by purchasing insurances, bank accounts, holiday etc. Some transactions are only pennies but it soon mounts up
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I've made a boob! Was on EON's Energy Online 2 and have just switch to their Fix Priced 5 tariff. Just received my latest bill and they've told me that they want to increase my direct debit from £80.50/month to £104/month ! Thats over 25% increase !! :eek:

Think I've made a big mistake. Dont know what to do anymore, it's all just too complicated to judge you're making the right decision.

Any advice ??
  • redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2011 at 10:59AM
    Options
    Sorry for being so clueless but im about to swap from eon to edf fixed untill 2014.
    The moneysupermarket is saying i will save £60 a year, and my monthly costs will come down from £47.37 to £42.02. Is this all ok and the price wont go rocketing after i fix for 3 years.

Also do you have to do it through the internet to get the £30 cashback or can you go through the Apply by phone option.
  • uSwitch_company_representative
    uSwitch_company_representative Posts: 140 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a cashback payment from uSwitch - but the website says it takes 9 weeks from the date that the new supplier takes over!

Maybe Moneysupermarket is keener to keep its repeat business than uSwitch is.............
    Hi Doc N,

If you'd like to drop me an email at the address in my profile I will find out what's happened to your cashback for you.

Lauren
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of uSwitch. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DonnySaver
    Options
    Hi Doc N,

If you'd like to drop me an email at the address in my profile I will find out what's happened to your cashback for you.

Lauren

If just been intouch with USwitch and have been told that they dont do cashback anymore !!
  • antonio1
    antonio1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    I think I've made a boob! Was on EON's Energy Online 2 and have just switch to their Fix Priced 5 tariff. Just received my latest bill and they've told me that they want to increase my direct debit from £80.50/month to £104/month ! Thats over 25% increase !! :eek:

Think I've made a big mistake. Dont know what to do anymore, it's all just too complicated to judge you're making the right decision.

Any advice ??

They base your dd on the payments or consumption you quoted before switching. Similar thing happened with me with Eon as I've just switched to a fixed price tariff. Just ring them up and discuss a lower price if they agree (best info would be your previous year's energy usage on which they can reestimate the direct debit). The fixed tariffs cost more in the short term as that is how the energy supplier makes profit given they can't increase it. So generally speaking it doesn't suprise me if fixing costs you initially 25 % more. The saving we gamble on is that at some point over the 2 year fix, prices have risen more than the fix such that you still end up having paid less. Only time will tell whether it proves to have been worth it. Agree it's very complicated. Don't think you've made a mistake personally but it's a gamble like fixing mortgage terms etc. These Eon fixed tariffs don't have any exit penalty which is a plus so if in a year the market has better alternatives that'd be a good time to reassess. Plus Tesco Club card points if you register a card.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    If just been intouch with USwitch and have been told that they dont do cashback anymore !!

They certainly were doing when I switched a few weeks back. It depends when you switched (and whether uSwitch are being economical with the truth perhaps?).
  • DonnySaver
    Options
    antonio1 wrote: »
    They base your dd on the payments or consumption you quoted before switching. Similar thing happened with me with Eon as I've just switched to a fixed price tariff. Just ring them up and discuss a lower price if they agree (best info would be your previous year's energy usage on which they can reestimate the direct debit). The fixed tariffs cost more in the short term as that is how the energy supplier makes profit given they can't increase it. So generally speaking it doesn't suprise me if fixing costs you initially 25 % more. The saving we gamble on is that at some point over the 2 year fix, prices have risen more than the fix such that you still end up having paid less. Only time will tell whether it proves to have been worth it. Agree it's very complicated. Don't think you've made a mistake personally but it's a gamble like fixing mortgage terms etc. These Eon fixed tariffs don't have any exit penalty which is a plus so if in a year the market has better alternatives that'd be a good time to reassess. Plus Tesco Club card points if you register a card.

Thanks for this. I got EON to tell me my exact usage over the last 12 months. I then went on 3 different comparison sites and they all came out saying that I'd be £177 better off over the next 12 months with EDF's fixed tariff. So, I've switched today. Will then look at the market again at the end of September 2012.
  • DonnySaver
    edited 22 July 2011 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    They certainly were doing when I switched a few weeks back. It depends when you switched (and whether uSwitch are being economical with the truth perhaps?).

Spoke with one of their online chat representatives. There's no reward for switching with them is what they told me.

However, found that if I switch using Quidco then I could get £22 cashback via uSwitch.
  • everythingsrosie
    Options
    Hi
    Im about to move house and are in a bit of dilema on what to do

Im currently on dual fuel with British gas - standard tarriff (price freeze run out i hadnt realised)

The house Im moving into is with Scottish Southern electric

Should I stick with BG and get a fixed tarriff or go with SSE and fixed tarriff

The property Im moving into is larger so i have no idea what i may use, I am in the house a lot with a little one so do use quite a bit electricity and gas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport