Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only switched to BG websaver 11 a few months ago, and get the email last week about the price rises. Did some quick calcs based on old and new tariffs and for a years kWh on our fairly high usage, it would be an extra £485/year !

Just checked again, and cheapest fixed, EDF's Fixed S@ver Version 2 works out at £4/year LESS than I am paying *now*, so bit of a no brainer. Odd, as when I looked last week, their fixed offering was more expensive, but a higher per-day charge is offset by a cheaper per-unit charge.

In the intervening period I emailed BG asking if they would levy a cancellation charge if I moved, and just just got a standard response back ignoring my question, and saying they don't want to lose me and will give us a £100 credit *if* "any one of SSE, NPower, EDF and E.ON don’t announce a price rise by 1 December". Sorry, not willing to gamble on that, especially as I can save more than £100 by switching. Anyway, they'll have a fight on their hands if they try imposing a charge now.

(I always swore I'd never use BG again after they asked for a £400 deposit when I moved into a new flat, 12 years ago, by sending people around to cut me off if I didn't pay up! [missed them, though, as I was at work!] I wasn't intending to, and didn't, use that much fuel in the whole time I was in there! Avoided it, after some issues over getting the meter number, by switching the gas over to the electricity supplier, whom hadn't asked for anything. Now, I'd kept to that promise until a few months ago...)
  • katie07
    katie07 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could someone tell me how the moneysupermarket cashback works? I just switched via the link on the utilities article, but have never done this before so no idea how I actually get my cashback.... The article says it should be £30 I believe...

Thanks
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katie07 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me how the moneysupermarket cashback works? I just switched via the link on the utilities article, but have never done this before so no idea how I actually get my cashback.... The article says it should be £30 I believe...

Thanks
    You should get a check in the post once the switch has gone through.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • katie07
    katie07 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tharweb wrote: »

Brilliant, thanks very much
  • redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If i switched through the moneysupermarket do i have to phone my current sypplyer (eon) to let them know ?

Also the cashback bit, are there any terms & conditions with it like you have to opt for the cheapest tarrif ?

Thanks
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would probably be best to give them a call and double check to see if you do need to give notice - some tariffs have cancellation charges

Also check the cashback available Quidco / TopCashBack. I got £70 by using Quidco to apply to NPower - remember to delete your cookies first though if you've been accessing a providers website via other links.
  • redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would probably be best to give them a call and double check to see if you do need to give notice - some tariffs have cancellation charges

Also check the cashback available Quidco / TopCashBack. I got £70 by using Quidco to apply to NPower - remember to delete your cookies first though if you've been accessing a providers website via other links.

Sorry, Im a bit new to all this. Quidco ? I keep seeing it mentioned but not sure how it works.
    Did you get the £30 aswell ?

Also does anyone see energy prices coming down in the future ? not sure to go for the 12month fix or till 2014
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    redboy1 wrote: »
    If i switched through the moneysupermarket do i have to phone my current sypplyer (eon) to let them know ?

No need to phone us if you don't want to redboy.

Your new supplier will contact us and give us all the details when they apply for the account.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Thanks
    Tharweb wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks very much

I'm still waiting for a cashback payment from uSwitch - but the website says it takes 9 weeks from the date that the new supplier takes over!

Maybe Moneysupermarket is keener to keep its repeat business than uSwitch is.............
  • ruaraidh
    Options
    If I'm looking at Money Supermarket and it's telling me that I can save £30, over the course of a year, versus my current E.On tariff has it already factored in the British Gas rate rise in August? Or is it comparing the most competitive tariff to the rate which I am currently paying? To add a little more context, my fixed rate tariff with E.On has just ended and I am now on a E.On variable tariff which tracks the British Gas base rate.

Furthermore, the cheapest fixed rate tariff recommended is with NPower. Can anyone confirm if I have to wait an entire year to get the discount paid to me?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback