PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Our allotment site is surrounded by 6' steel fencing, with 2 double gates on the entrance with a lock on the inner & padlock on the outer. As a result we don't get much bother from thieves.

I assume it varies then. Maybe other allotments would have to follow suit.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Last year round about the third week in October all the pumpkins were taken from our allotments but other than that we haven't had any thefts. One shed was broken into but they thought it was teenagers rather than theft

I think it's more likely shops would be targeted than veg patches. After all you have to be able to prepare raw veg and that presupposes a living set up where that is possible

I can see allotments clubbing together to keep a few geese. Excellent burglar alarms:D

Someone had a profitable halloween then. I was thinking if the shops were empty, I don't imagine it is going to come to that but I was just thinking when someone was posting about how much veg etc they would have from their allotment and I just thought how safe would it be. I have read that locally farm crime is on the up with equipment and livestock being increasingly targetted, don't think it has involved vegetables though.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Does anyone know how the fishing rights go? I was reading somewhere that Irish fishermen weren't going to be able to fish close to their coast as it would be British waters. Wouldn't Ireland have territorial waters, I know nothing about how territorial waters work but it just seems logical if we can claim x miles of sea then other countries should be able to do the same but then what happens if their is a crossover who gets priority?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We gave up our allotment years ago because of theft and vandalism - so dispiriting when you only have limited time to tend it anyway.

I now grow vegs in our back garden, and have converted the borders in the front garden to soft fruit growing. Since we have a solid front fence nobody really sees what's behind it so very little risk of any theft. We have a small grape vine and a thornless blackberry against one fence, 2 redcurrants, two blackcurrants, 2 gooseberry bushes and a strawberry bed so our front garden really earns its keep in in area which would otherwise just be used for car parking. The fruit bushes just look like boring shrubs to the uninitiated.

For anybody having a front garden which doesn,t do much, I recommend this as a way of productively using what growing area you do have.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In honesty we don't loose much from the allotment plots and I've only known the taking a whole crop from every plot that has ripe fruit to happen a couple of times. We try to be tolerant of the odd thing going but we DO get a little vandalism from kids during the end part of the summer holidays and we've had pumpkins not taken but the little perishers used them to play football with and somehow the sheer wanton destruction of something I've nurtured ready for the autumn and Halloween makes me angrier than the theft! but it doesn't happen every year or very often and I guess kids will be kids even if they ought to know better!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    And yet two posters have confirmed that they do get crops stolen from their allotments.

And I can bet 99% its mostly kids, i will freely admit I went scrumping as a kid. I didn't see it as theft at the time, just lunch :o
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If there are serious shortages do you think your crops would be safe? I've never had an allotment so I don't know what the security arrangements are like but if people are hungry would there be a temptation to go in one night and your crop disappears?
    And yet two posters have confirmed that they do get crops stolen from their allotments.

But that is two posts from a smallish group on this thread of whom an even smaller few also have allotments...the likelihood of wholesale ransacking of allotments is perhaps a little too 1970s television drama scenario (remember "Survivors"?)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wonder what will happen to our fisheries.

If we get back control of our waters and stop the stupid practice of throwing dead fish (discards) back into the sea that would be a great step forward.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think one point we're all leaving out is that an awful lot of folks these days wouldn't know what the crops on the allotments actually were, and an awful lot of folks these days wouldn't know how to either prepare them or cook them so I think in the main most things would remain yours after all who would know that carrots lurk under all that ferny foliage and if you didn't know how spuds grew would you know that those pretty pink or white flowers on that beautiful green and leafy foliage were in actual fact many lovely tubers lurking underground?
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think one point we're all leaving out is that an awful lot of folks these days wouldn't know what the crops on the allotments actually were, and an awful lot of folks these days wouldn't know how to either prepare them or cook them so I think in the main most things would remain yours after all who would know that carrots lurk under all that ferny foliage and if you didn't know how spuds grew would you know that those pretty pink or white flowers on that beautiful green and leafy foliage were in actual fact many lovely tubers lurking underground?

:rotfl:

When I had a small garden I used to just mix things up - a bit like the old cottage gardens, flowers, fruit and vegetables all jumbled up together. I also tried to use companion planting as a method of natural bug control. So marigolds and French beans together, basil and tomatoes that kind of thing.

French beans have pretty red flowers and look fine in a flower border. my neighbours neven even noticed till I pointed out the beans. :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback