ADVICE - Ditching my Virgin Media contract and switching to another name/new customer?

Options
Hi All

My parents are struggling with their Virgin Media Payments,
It is now up to £62 for the basic package- TV, landline, Internet (they have no interest ins speed, they only browse/send emails eyc).

I presume the contact is under a named person, not the address.

I seen on here tey are doing the basic package for under £20 for NEW customers only.

The contract is currently under my fathers name, can i not just switch it to my mothers name and be a new customer and get the deal?

Thanks Peeps.

Comments

• bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fwiw, have a read through this long thread
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-broadband-100mb-24-a-month-with-75-bill-credit-equates-to-just-1775-a-month-via-mse-3319703#thread-comments

You'll find same question posted several times, and answers saying it is possible although VM will suggest you can't do that for 90 days or whatever.

Note you have to give 30 days notice to VM to cancel your existing contract, and try and time it such that new contract starts thereafter to avoid loss of services. Small chance you may also lose your telephone number, but don't quote me.

If your parents give notice to cancel, they may find VM Outbounds may contact them in 2-4 days and offer them a retention deal. It won't be as cheap as £20pm though.
  • stylus360
    stylus360 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bill888 wrote: »
    fwiw, have a read through this long thread
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-broadband-100mb-24-a-month-with-75-bill-credit-equates-to-just-1775-a-month-via-mse-3319703#thread-comments

You'll find same question posted several times, and answers saying it is possible although VM will suggest you can't do that for 90 days or whatever.

Note you have to give 30 days notice to VM to cancel your existing contract, and try and time it such that new contract starts thereafter to avoid loss of services. Small chance you may also lose your telephone number, but don't quote me.

If your parents give notice to cancel, they may find VM Outbounds may contact them in 2-4 days and offer them a retention deal. It won't be as cheap as £20pm though.

They never use the house phone, it's not even plugged in.

Would they not off er a deal if i say i simply can not afford it and have seen Sy for X amount, then i go through to retention/English call centre?

If they then offer a discount should i accept or just say i need to cancel and hope for the phone call?

They have been with Sky before.

I am aware of the 30 days as i always ring 30 days before my 12 month contract ends.

If i rig for them later and they do not reduce the bill to an acceptable level and proceed to vcancel, will they cut it off asap?

Cheers
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Key here is when does the contract end .
    As you are not the account holder VM may refuse to deal with you .
  • bill888
    edited 31 October 2019 at 2:56PM
    Options
    stylus360 wrote: »

If i ring for them later and they do not reduce the bill to an acceptable level and proceed to cancel, will they cut it off asap?

Cheers

As pointed out by JJ Egan, they will only speak to the account holder, your father. In theory, your father could advise the agent he wants you to speak on his behalf and then hand the telephone over to you if agent agrees?

Yes, customer services can indeed put you through to another team (Loyalty, retentions), and can improve the discount but you may feel it still isn't enough. It is simply not possible to be put through to the 'Outbounds' team who only deal with customers who have given their 30 days notice and it's their job to persuade you to change your mind and stay by offering the best deals from our experience over the years. If you don't hear from 'Outbounds' within 2-4 days, or you miss their calls, they won't call again. One complication is you perhaps may not be around when your father takes a call from them.

Yes, at end of the 30 days notice period, everything gets cut off if you do nothing such as phoning up to 'uncancel' and return to existing contract. They don't usually cut off services before the 30 days is up.

As far as I am aware, I don't think Virgin offer Broadband and TV bundles without line rental/phone, but don't quote me. You can have ' broadband' on its own without a line rental/phone with Virgin.

Only other permutation is broadband from Virgin and Sky satellite from Sky. eg. 50mb broadband from VM for say £20pm and basic Sky TV for £25 pm ?

fwiw, could your parents make do with freeview TV via TV aerial, or Freesat via existing sky dish (not Sky Q dish) which are free ?

Good luck.
  • stylus360
    Options
    bill888 wrote: »
    As pointed out by JJ Egan, they will only speak to the account holder, your father. In theory, your father could advise the agent he wants you to speak on his behalf and then hand the telephone over to you if agent agrees?

Yes, customer services can indeed put you through to another team (Loyalty, retentions), and can improve the discount but you may feel it still isn't enough. It is simply not possible to be put through to the 'Outbounds' team who only deal with customers who have given their 30 days notice and it's their job to persuade you to change your mind and stay by offering the best deals from our experience over the years. If you don't hear from 'Outbounds' within 2-4 days, or you miss their calls, they won't call again. One complication is you perhaps may not be around when your father takes a call from them.

Yes, at end of the 30 days notice period, everything gets cut off if you do nothing such as phoning up to 'uncancel' and return to existing contract. They don't usually cut off services before the 30 days is up.

As far as I am aware, I don't think Virgin offer Broadband and TV bundles without line rental/phone, but don't quote me. You can have ' broadband' on its own without a line rental/phone.

Only other permutation is broadband from Virgin and Sky satellite from Sky. eg. 50mb broadband from VM for say £20pm and basic Sky TV for £25 pm ?

fwiw, could your parents make do with freeview TV via TV aerial, or Freesat via existing sky dish (not Sky Q dish) which are free ?

Good luck.

Yes i would speak on his behalf, no doubt it's mid term contact (my parents presumed it was monthly).

As for bundles, yes you are correct, it is £2,50 more NOT to have the landline?

I think my best chance is trying for a discount, if they offer to cancel and NOT offer us a discount then i presume i will be stuck with them! As you stated above they ONLY ring back at the end of the 30 day cancellation.

I'm pretty peeved at their attitude to loyal customers, then that's remainer Branson who sued our own tax funded NHS!!!!:sad:
  • bill888
    edited 31 October 2019 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Perhaps ask your parents when was the last time they spoke to Virgin? If it is more than 12 or 18 months, they are probably out of contract.

When you ring Virgin, if you discover your parents are still in contract, there is no point in giving 30 days notice to cancel. The 'early termination' fees could be horrific !

Virgin will offer a discount when you phone them but whether you're happy with it is another matter....

Virgin are no different to other suppliers like BT, Sky etc. with regards to loyalty and discounts.
    As you stated above they ONLY ring back at the end of the 30 day cancellation.

Not sure if I misunderstood you. Outbounds team only ring back usually 2-4 days AFTER you start the 30 days notice to cancel, NOT at end of the 30 days has run out and services about to terminate btw.
  • stylus360
    Options
    @bil888

'If you don't hear from 'Outbounds' within 2-4 days, or you miss their calls, they won't call again. One complication is you perhaps may not be around when your father takes a call from them.
    '

So just open another account as a new member and save nearly £50 month?
  • stylus360
    Options
    @bil888

'If you don't hear from 'Outbounds' within 2-4 days, or you miss their calls, they won't call again. One complication is you perhaps may not be around when your father takes a call from them.
    '

So just open another account as a new member and save nearly £50 month?

Turns me sick how Virgin creap up the price, it's morally wrong imo.

PLus they pay zero tax.....
    :mad:
  • bill888
    edited 31 October 2019 at 3:53PM
    Options
    I can only suggest you read through the hotukdeals thread and draw your own conclusions. I don't have personal experience of cancelling and signing up as a different new customer.

Out of curiosity, where is this £20 bundle Virgin deal?

On VM website, I can see £35 pm bundle rising to £54 pm after 12 months.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the VM web site the cheapest lowest speed BB without telephone line seems to be £37 a month, £30 for new customers for 12 months plus a £35 set fee so effectively £33 a month.
    So if your prents are out of contract and can watch TV via freeview or freesat then you could just ask VM to switch them on to the M50 BB only tariff. The problem with getting a discount on the £62 package is that it will revert to £62 plus any price increase after 12 month.
    So If they want BB plus TV then the cheapest option for 18 months at least could be for them to go back to sky for £38 a month for TV plus basic BB speed. But you can also find other BB suppliers with deals less than £20 for just a 11mps service. However You would need to check that they still have the BT telephone line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure