National Tyres - AVOID

Options
My son visited National Tyres in Colchester for an oil filter and engine oil change
A few days later he complained the engine was very noisy on start up and the oil pressure warning light was slow to extinguish. Knowing nothing about cars, I told him to take it to his local village garage

Alarmingly, they found the oil level was so low it didnt register on the dipstick.
The engine noise was due to the hydraulic timing chain tensioner not having enough pressure to force it against the chain
The oil was topped up with a bill for £38
We have sent an email headed "Complaint" to National Tyres" requesting they pay this invoice as their work was not up to a satisfactory standard
On the web site they state they will acknowledge the complaint within one day and resolve the situation in 5 days, but it was:-
Ignored
Two weeks later, we sent a reminder
Ignored
Their Complaints procedure is a total farce !
They could have wrecked this engine, but it seems they couldn`t care less

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think everybody on here is going to avoid National Tyres because one person had a less than ideal experience with one particular branch.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I wouldn't trust any of the chains with an oil change.

Find an independent local garage who you trust, or do it yourself.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had tyres fitted by them and wheels balanced but the car still wasnt right , we took it elsewhere where they found all four alloys were buckled so could noy have been balanced at all even though we were charged for it !
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    laroc wrote: »
    My son visited National Tyres in Colchester for an oil filter and engine oil change
    A few days later he complained the engine was very noisy on start up and the oil pressure warning light was slow to extinguish. Knowing nothing about cars, I told him to take it to his local village garage

Alarmingly, they found the oil level was so low it didnt register on the dipstick.
    The engine noise was due to the hydraulic timing chain tensioner not having enough pressure to force it against the chain
    We have sent an email headed "Complaint" to National Tyres" requesting they pay this invoice as their work was not up to a satisfactory standard
    On the web site they state they will acknowledge the complaint within one day and resolve the situation in 5 days, but it was:-
    Ignored
    Ignored

Good lesson for your Son, some basic car maintenance. I always check the oil and oil level after a service. These should be part of his weekly checks with other fluid levels and bulbs etc.

Have used National in the past without issues but as a general rule wouldn't recommend any fast fit place for car servicing. Sounds like the oil sump plug wasn't replaced/tightened correctly. Oil pressure warning light coming on was a warning signal, stopping the car immediately and checking the dipstick would have been the correct course of action and topping up if needed to prevent any further engine damage.

Glad your local garage sorted it.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    all four alloys were buckled so could noy have been balanced at all even though we were charged for it !
    Who told you that? For a buckle to be so bad that it can't be balanced would mean that the tyre couldn't seat properly so couldn't be inflated

I've had buckled alloys and the mechanic may mention it but the tyre has been replaced and balanced successfully
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    I've used NT's a couple of times and found them great. Went in for a puncture repair on a Saturday afternoon and due to the fact they kept me waiting for 20 minutes due to being busy they did it for free.
    Another time was for tyres and again very good service so one bad review won't put me off.
    As above when I've had services done on older cars I've always found a good local individual as they can't afford to have local negative feedback.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Ignored
    Ignored

Cant see people avooding them, you do realise that despite 1 garage doing a pi55 poor job it doesn't mean all the others are as bad, they could have happy customers.

It serves as a lesson for your son to not use Nstonal Tyres, use an independant garage, personally I wouldn't use NT for tyres so choose to go to an independant thats very popular.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    I would wager, although it might well have cost a bit more, his local village garage would have done a more reliable job.

Add to that the advantage of, if anything did go wrong - they are local.:)
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cant sing the praises highly enough for my local National Tyres in Braadford.
    Used them for years and never had a problem. They always go the extra mile to provide good service.

As others have said. On poor experience doesn't mean the whole chain is bad.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,522 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Ignored
    Ignored

You should have contacted National straight away and given them the chance to sort the issue out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure