Where to put my small pot of money?.

Options

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Bookowl wrote: »
    With the LISA do I get a bonus? And can I use the LISA for making withdrawals encase. I need to use the savings for something else?
    Yes, you get a 25% bonus each year upto the age of 50 (on deposits that year).

No, you can't dip into it. The money is locked away until you buy your first home or reach the age of 60.

You must be under 40 to open a LISA.
  • Bookowl
    Bookowl Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could I deposit my current small amount of money into a nationwide regular saver and then make direct debits to a help to buy isa? Or would I better to deposit it to the tsb account? What's the tsb account offer over a help to buy isa?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could I deposit my current small amount of money into a nationwide regular saver
    Only at a rate of £250 a month
    and then make direct debits to a help to buy isa?
    Not directly. You would have to move the required sum to a current account first. (Does the HTB ISA support direct debits?)
    Or would I better to deposit it to the tsb account?
    Yes, and the FlexDirect. You've £8500 to deploy, and it's only worth keeping £1500 in TSB and £2500 in Nationwide current account.
    What's the tsb account offer over a help to buy isa?
    Instant access, no limit on contributions, better interest rate (excluding the one off bonus paid when you buy your first residence).

You seem confused about the purpose of various accounts.
    An HTB ISA is to buy a house, collecting the government bonus on the way. It's a poor account for any other purpose.

A Regular Saver account is to accumulate savings over a year to accumulate a lump sum and get high interest on the running balance. It can also help in getting high interest on existing sums by cycling the money into the saver.
    Even when withdrawals are allowed, it's usually best to avoid them.

Current accounts are supposed to be for receiving and making payments, and holding sufficient funds to cover the payments; but high interest current accounts can also be used for saving, up to the amount on which interest is paid.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Bookowl
    Options
    I already hold an account with nationwide and so could upgrade my account to the flexdirect account. I had a look at the tsb website, theres classic or plus accounts- which one would you recommend? For the plus one I'd have to set up 2 direct debits and pay in £500 a month, which I couldn't afford.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read carefully

https://www.tsb.co.uk/plus3/?WT.mc_id=43700012192331650&WT.srch=1&keyword=tsb%20plus%20account&matchtype=e&adid=198209561508&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Jnzp-3h2AIVaLXtCh2gMQ30EAAYASAAEgJ5c_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Classic Plus account - 3% AER/2.96 % gross variable interest (paid monthly) on balances up to £1,500. Must pay in a minimum of £500 a month, register for Internet Banking, paperless statements and paperless correspondence. It's important that you log in regularly, at least once every 12 months.

You do not need DDs to qualify for interest.

The £500 a month can be in and out in seconds if you use faster payment.
  • Bookowl
    Options
    Had a look at the tsb classic account, don’t know how comfortable I feel about putting £500 in every month and then taking it out again, surely they’d notice if I cycled money in and out of the account?
    With the Nationwide flex direct would you recommend I move the small pot of money to the Nationwide flex direct account and dd it to the tsb account monthly?
    Sorry for all the questions, it’s a mind field to me.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Had a look at the tsb classic account, don’t know how comfortable I feel about putting £500 in every month and then taking it out again, surely they’d notice if I cycled money in and out of the account?

There is nothing in the terms and conditions to prevent you from doing exactly that. There are lots of people doing this. Don't worry.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2018 at 11:54PM
    Options
    With the Nationwide flex direct would you recommend I move the small pot of money to the Nationwide flex direct account and dd it to the tsb account monthly?

The TSB Classic doesn't pay any interest, it's the Classic Plus you need for 3% interest on £1,500. Direct Debits are only required if you want to get the £5 cashback they offer for paying out 2 direct debits until 31 December. (Or for any switching incentive if they offer one at the time you apply.)

Most users here cycle money as you describe without issue. If they look at the account they will of course notice, but it isn't breaking any rules and you aren't going to be cycling huge amounts of money for it to be flagged up as potentially fraudulent.

You could get the Nationwide FlexDirect and the TSB Classic Plus and set up two standing orders, for the same day, one to the other both for £1,000. That way the only manual admin required is moving the interest from each account. With £2,500 in the FlexDirect at all times and £1,500 in the TSB at all times, you wouldn't earn interest on the interest unless you moved it elsewhere.

On Help to Buy ISA's vs the LISA

- With the Help to Buy ISA you can withdraw the money at any time for any reason without penalty, you just wouldn't get the bonus; with the LISA there is a 25% penalty for taking money out if you are not 60 or buying your first home (this returns the government bonus and leaves you with an additional loss of 6.25%.) The only other circumstance for a penalty free withdrawal is if you are terminally ill.

- A LISA has to have been open for a year before you can use it to buy a property; with the HTB you need to have £1,600 saved in it before you can use it to get the bonus and buy a property (as you can put in £1,200 on opening, this can be done much more quickly.)

- You can pay into both a LISA and a HTB, but you can only use the bonus from one to buy a property and you can only transfer the HTB into a LISA in the current tax year.

- The maximum government bonus on the HTB is £3,000, with the LISA you continue getting it on contributions you make until you're 50.

You have to be under 40 to open a LISA, so you may like to open one with £1 to keep the option open if you are nearing that age. It would also start the one year clock counting down.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you read the above and post 6 carefully?

Except as Eco Miser says, change my "£50 a month" to "up to £250 per calendar month".
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, that's what current accounts are for.
    A long time ago now, I had to open my second Lloyds Vantage account (gone now - they paid interest on up to £5000 if £1000 was paid in each month and you could have three accounts). I said the purpose was saving, he said you'll be just moving the £1000 in and out then? or words to that effect. They know it happens, and accept it in the hope of selling other stuff to you, and to the other customers take the offer at face value and who do pay their salary in and bills out.
    Not Direct Debits, Standing Orders.
    But no, don't put it all in one account and move a bit each month to another account.

Initially spread it among the accounts so there's enough in each that you get the maximum interest available, but no more (except very temporarily).
    FlexDirect and Classic Plus take £4000 between them, and another £250 for the first month's RS. The rest of your small pot needs to go elsewhere, such as a LISA, or other suggested accounts.

Then feed £250 a month into the Flexclusive Regular saver by standing order from the FlexDirect.
    Pay £1000 a month to the Flex Direct from TSB Classic Plus. Move £758 a month (or thereabouts, depending on the interest) from FlexDirect to Classic Plus, either by Standing order or Faster Payment.
    Pay your £30/40 into the Classic Plus as you get it.
    The balance in the Plus will reduce by around £120 a month, so should just about last. You could top it up if you have money available elsewhere at a lower interest rate. When the balance gets near to £1000 switch to moving £250 a week - you don't want to go overdrawn while bouncing the money around.

Review the other answers, and be sure you know what you're going to do. It's actually quite easy and lots of the contributors to this board do it, often with many accounts.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family