🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where to put my small pot of money?.

Options
1235»

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Not sure how you're calculating that!

If it's just one person with one of each account then that would only cater for £4K in total, and the interest would be £125 + £45 = £170.

If there are two people then both would presumably go for the Nationwide, thereby earning £250.

Or to be more precise, a fully-funded Nationwide FlexDirect would 'only' earn the gross rate of 4.89% as the full 5% AER is only achievable if compounding is possible, so a constant balance of £2500 would actually earn £122.25, i.e. £244.50 for a couple. Same for a £1500 balance in a TSB Classic Plus, the gross rate of 2.96% would return £44.40.

No, I'm not sure what I did either. That'll teach me to try and do things when the room is spinning because I'm ill.

The question was asked about a total earnd on a £5000 lump sum, so you are quite right that split over those two accounts the total would be £166.65, which is a total interest rate of 3.33%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport