PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting a Troublesome Tenant

Options
Hello All,

I need some urgent and sensible/legal advice for evicting a right sh!!bag of a tenant.

My elderly mother bought a house to rent out as a means of supplementing her retirement. The tenant is a private tenant who has failed to pay rent for over 4 months.

My mother served him with a section 21 notice late last year, he should've been out by Jan 18 but hasn't left yet. I now need to find out the most efficient way to get him evicted/out of the property?

Is some form of eviction order/notice the best step?

Also, he is self-employed so often leaves the property vacant whilst at work, I'm assuming he would be classed as a squatter as his tenancy has lapsed so could I go and "Secure the vacant property/change locks/board up exits" when its empty? would this be legal..?

I need to pry into the minds of the savvy landlords in order to free my elderly mother of this burden and send her on a cruise to enjoy retirement as opposed to the huge stress she's experiencing right now.

A little background info:

1) He's self-employed and not in receipt of welfare.
2) He has access to his children who occasionally stay over but not custody so I can't imagine could play the family card.
3) He is a low life and will stoop at nothing to prolong this nonsense.
4) At some point, I'd like to seek to recover every expense he's caused my mother so any further advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help, you'd be making a hard working old girl very happy if I can get this low-life out of her property.

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello All,

I need some urgent and sensible/legal advice for evicting a right sh!!bag of a tenant. - You'll get honest and correct advice, I'm not sure about urgent or sensible though!

My elderly mother bought a house to rent out as a means of supplementing her retirement. The tenant is a private tenant who has failed to pay rent for over 4 months. - How long has he/she been in the property?

My mother served him with a section 21 notice late last year, he should've been out by Jan 18 but hasn't left yet. - That's not what a s.21 is. The fact you think it is suggests it may be an invalid notice. I now need to find out the most efficient way to get him evicted/out of the property? - there is only one way, via the courts. (well or pay him/her to leave, but I doubt you want to do that, thought it may be quicker and cheaper)

Is some form of eviction order/notice the best step? - hopefully she issued a valid notice, the s.21

Also, he is self-employed so often leaves the property vacant whilst at work, I'm assuming he would be classed as a squatter as his tenancy has lapsed so could I go and "Secure the vacant property/change locks/board up exits" when its empty? would this be legal..? - Definetely not! he is a tenant. Why would you think hes a squatter? His tenancy hasn't lapsed at all! - just fyi it would be a criminal matter which your dear old mum could end up arrested for!

I need to pry into the minds of the savvy landlords in order to free my elderly mother of this burden and send her on a cruise to enjoy retirement as opposed to the huge stress she's experiencing right now. - Then start eviction proceedings now

1) He's self-employed and not in receipt of welfare. - irrelevant
    2) He has access to his children who occasionally stay over but not custody so I can't imagine could play the family card. - irrelavnt (no such card exists)
    3) He is a low life and will stoop at nothing to prolong this nonsense. - Irrelevant, he has rights.
    4) At some point, I'd like to seek to recover every expense he's caused my mother so any further advice on that would be appreciated. - You can recover rent is you go via small claims court (well your mum can, you cant do anything)

Thanks for any help, you'd be making a hard working old girl very happy if I can get this low-life out of her property.

Thanks
    Andy

Average eviction takes 40 weeks.

Check the s.21 is valid. Issue s.8.

Check the deposit is protected. Gas safety up to date. EPC provided. Renters guide provided.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Even sweet old elderly ladies should make sure they understand the law relating to renting/tenants before they embark on BTL.

No you can't just change the locks, that would be an illegal eviction.

A section 21 doesn't end the tenancy.

Read these guides, every word:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Hello All,

I need some urgent and sensible/legal advice for evicting a right sh!!bag of a tenant.

My elderly mother bought a house to rent out as a means of supplementing her retirement. The tenant is a private tenant who has failed to pay rent for over 4 months.

My mother served him with a section 21 notice late last year, he should've been out by Jan 18 but hasn't left yet. I now need to find out the most efficient way to get him evicted/out of the property? A section 21 is a notice of intention to evict, he did not need to leave at the expiry, and its not the 18th yet anyway.

Is some form of eviction order/notice the best step? yes she needs to go to court to evict him IF the sectin 21 is valid and he doesnt leave at the end.

Also, he is self-employed so often leaves the property vacant whilst at work, I'm assuming he would be classed as a squatter as his tenancy has lapsed so could I go and "Secure the vacant property/change locks/board up exits" when its empty? would this be legal..? 1. The tenancy hasn't lapsed, it is the 12th. 2. Until a tenancy is severed by court order of course you cannot go in and change the locks. Of course this is illegal.

I need to pry into the minds of the savvy landlords in order to free my elderly mother of this burden and send her on a cruise to enjoy retirement as opposed to the huge stress she's experiencing right now. Probably shouldnt have gone into the landlord business then...

1) He's self-employed and not in receipt of welfare. And?
    2) He has access to his children who occasionally stay over but not custody so I can't imagine could play the family card. And?
    3) He is a low life and will stoop at nothing to prolong this nonsense. And?
    4) At some point, I'd like to seek to recover every expense he's caused my mother so any further advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

My comments in red above...

Firstly your mother is a landlord and this is her tenant, all this 'old girl, elderly, hard working' vs 'low life, ****bag' She chose to rent a house, she took the risks.

Secondly, I suggest she looks into the legal side of her business. Has she protected his deposit (if there was one)
  • stinky_docker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll apologise if things weren't clear, I'm simply passing on what I've been told and I wholeheartedly agree that she should have never have got involved in rental property its safe to say she believes the same.

I'm quite sure the s.21 is all correct, she was in court late last year with this matter and that was the result.

Is the next step an eviction order?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

Read. The. Guides.

Seriously, all the info you need is in there.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    You will need to apply to court for the eviction.

BTW Jan 18th hasn't happened yet, it's the 12th so still has 6 days to go.

I imagine the temptation would be to get together a few people to turf out all his stuff into the garden and change the locks - this would be illegal, but the chances of the police trying to stop you doing this would be zero if you have an eviction notice.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll apologise if things weren't clear, I'm simply passing on what I've been told and I wholeheartedly agree that she should have never have got involved in rental property its safe to say she believes the same.

I'm quite sure the s.21 is all correct, she was in court late last year with this matter and that was the result.

She went to court and the court issued a s21?

Are you sure you have all this straight?

The s21 hasnt expired yet (if it has been correctly issued) and therefore there is no next step until it expires.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    You will need to apply to court for the eviction.

BTW Jan 18th hasn't happened yet, it's the 12th so still has 6 days to go.

I imagine the temptation would be to get together a few people to turf out all his stuff into the garden and change the locks - this would be illegal, but the chances of the police trying to stop you doing this would be zero if you have an eviction notice.

That's just not true on ANY level. Stop giving such bad advice.

Even with a possession order, only bailiffs can evict.

The simple fact is you just suggested the OP commit a criminal offence which could lead to prison time, however unlikely, and certainly has very significant criminal and civil financial penalties (as well as criminal record for the LL)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What exactly did she go to court for? What was the outcome?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • stinky_docker
    Options
    She has issued S.8 & S.21, I believe she went to court to get the papers/advice.

I'll have a look through the guides but just at work, again apologises for the somewhat confused or disrupted statements, I know she has followed steps correctly to evict him and now the S.21 has reached its two months point (Jan 18 refers to the month/year).
    Thanks so far
    Andy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family