PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting a Troublesome Tenant

Options
124»

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both the solicitor, and the eviction company, will tell you to serve a valid S21, and a S8.

Not sure what benefit there s in paying for that knowledge.

I guess they will draw up the notices for you, which will involve them asking you all the relevant questions (did you take a deposit? is it registered? did you provide an EPC? What date did......? etc) so that they get it right.

Using the 21 validity checker I supplied, you could do the same yourself!

But up to you.

Joining a landlords association is anotheer way to go.
  • stinky_docker
    Options
    Happy to say the tenant has gone after a long battle basically due to my mother not operating the property correctly, thanks to all the advice, she's been told now exactly the mentality and approach to take with future tenancy

Regards
    Andy
  • deFoix
    deFoix Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have any info on the PROBABLE outcome of an illegal eviction? Even if the tennent takes action what punishments are actually handed out by the authorities?

Given how feeble our criminal justice system is in other areas if I was a landlord in this position I!!!8217;d be tempted to try it.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boler1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on the PROBABLE outcome of an illegal eviction? Even if the tennent takes action what punishments are actually handed out by the authorities?

Given how feeble our criminal justice system is in other areas if I was a landlord in this position I!!!8217;d be tempted to try it.

This landlord in Peterborough was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay costs and victim surcharge totalling £145 fine.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-landlord-illegally-evicted-tenant-1-8259544

A landlord in Oxford was found guilty of unlawfully evicting the tenant and a campaign of harassment against the tenant for which he was fined £180 and £1,000 respectively.

https://www.legalforlandlords.co.uk/another-landlord-convicted-for-unlawful-tenant-eviction/

Showing that whilst illegal the consequences don't appear to be that bad. I shall caveat this by saying that in no way should a landlord take this as any kind of advice to illegally evict a tenant no matter how much of a knob said tenant might be. I will not be held responsible for the punishment (or lack of it) should you (as a landlord) be caught doing it.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy to say the tenant has gone after a long battle basically due to my mother not operating the property correctly, thanks to all the advice, she's been told now exactly the mentality and approach to take with future tenancy
    This wasn't a sufficient clue for her that entering the residential lettings business is probably not wise for somebody at her time of life?

Clue: She has not retired. She is in business NOW.

If she does not wish to cope with the realities of the business she is trading in, it might be wise for her to find a better way to invest this portion of her assets. I presume she does have substantial investments in far more liquid assets than this one property? What proportion of her total portfolio is this?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Regards
    Andy

If your mum has got her game face on and is determined to make a go at being a landlord she might find the following landlord blog helpful. I should warn you that some of the language can be a bit salty.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy to say the tenant has gone after a long battle basically due to my mother not operating the property correctly,....
    Andy
    Be interested to know how/why?

* mum bribed tenant tto leave?
    * tenant took pity on mum?
    * S8 was used and tenant left after court decision? Or bailiffs?
    * S21 was used and tenant left after court decision? Or bailiffs?
    * your mates down the pub went round witth baseball bats?
    * tenant took up council offer of re-housing?

or what?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    This landlord in Peterborough was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay costs and victim surcharge totalling £145 fine.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-landlord-illegally-evicted-tenant-1-8259544

A landlord in Oxford was found guilty of unlawfully evicting the tenant and a campaign of harassment against the tenant for which he was fined £180 and £1,000 respectively.

https://www.legalforlandlords.co.uk/another-landlord-convicted-for-unlawful-tenant-eviction/

Showing that whilst illegal the consequences don't appear to be that bad. I shall caveat this by saying that in no way should a landlord take this as any kind of advice to illegally evict a tenant no matter how much of a knob said tenant might be. I will not be held responsible for the punishment (or lack of it) should you (as a landlord) be caught doing it.
    Landlords can & have been jailed for both illegal eviction & harassment, both criminal offences. Sadly not often enough IMHO.

e.g.
    R v Brennan and Brennan, 1979
    Immediate custodial sentence for threats to evict tenants correct in principle

R v Khan (Jahinger) 2001
    15 months’ imprisonment for landlord of previous good character upheld
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Landlords can & have been jailed for both illegal eviction & harassment, both criminal offences. Sadly not often enough IMHO.

e.g.
    R v Brennan and Brennan, 1979
    Immediate custodial sentence for threats to evict tenants correct in principle

R v Khan (Jahinger) 2001
    15 months’ imprisonment for landlord of previous good character upheld

Sadly savvy tenants use the harassment issue when there is none.

I have only ever had one problem tenant who claimed harassment when we were in court. The court then asked her to make a legal claim, she failed to file any paperwork to the court, I filed mine.

I had never spoken to the tenant, had replied to one email and had never met her! My agents filed all their emails. Judgement went against the tenant and it cost her a lot of money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure