Where do you draw the line?

Not being a bunny hugger, but as the news unfolds should a hard line of ethics come into ones investment strategies?

Russia and Saudi Arabia allegedly field teams of incompetent death squads throughout the world.

Should we vote with our portfolios and not prefer to be associated.

Or as some thought with IG Farben nice returns chap on.

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It doesnt come into it at all for me.

I entrust my fund managers to get me the best return possible, I care not what they invest in.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,443
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Drp8713 wrote: »
    It doesnt come into it at all for me.

I entrust my fund managers to get me the best return possible, I care not what they invest in.

Vote for IG Farben any others?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,928
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think it's important to be conscious of where and how your money is invested and make an informed decision.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Russia and Saudi Arabia allegedly field teams of incompetent death squads throughout the world.

Should we vote with our portfolios and not prefer to be associated.

I only invest in countries with competent death squads.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,443
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    TheShape wrote: »
    I only invest in countries with competent death squads.

Can you prove this?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,652
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Doesn't make any difference to me - if I don't own a share someone else would.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,787
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Alexland wrote: »
    Doesn't make any difference to me - if I don't own a share someone else would.
    And if I didn't mug that old lady for her pension someone else would. (Not directed at you, Alex, but to make the point.)

Whatever happened to supply and demand? Someone else might buy the share but if you are no longer interested the price falls and the company is weaker.

This is about personal boundaries. My work relates to lung health but I know some of my funds invest in tobacco. Choosing not to invest solely in ethical funds does not make me unethical; I just choose how to invest my money but accept I would have to plead guilty to accusations that my money is strengthening the tobacco industry.
  • Currently, I don't draw the line. I've just started investing and I want to see how that goes, death squads or not.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would never invest explicitly in a Russian fund or a Saudi fund because I think they are risky....and some of that is a product of their dubious ethics. So I stick to broad index trackers and don't really think any more about ethics as if we really think about that then a lot of companies and countries would fail to come up to the mark of our day to day ethics. I express my ethical stand on such things when I vote and the charities and political parties I give to....
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • I am currently looking for a fund that invests in death squads to add to my portfolio. In the meantime, I'll just have to make do with gambling shares as my least ethical holding. I don't invest in tobacco companies because I generally despise cigarettes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure