IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PLEASE HELP! CEL County Court Claim form received

Hi,
I've just received a claim from from CEL regarding a parking charge from November 2017. I ignored the parking ticket following advice from a friend but now i received this form i really think i need to respond. I've red the Newbies thread and will follow the instructions to acknowledge the claim but I'm not willing to pay the £256.40 they are claiming!

This parking ticket is from a supermarket car park which has been free to use for years and I've been using it for years. One day i parked there as normal for no more than 20 minutes and a few days later got a PCN, i hadnt noticed the new signs at the time as i didnt think to take notice being a regular shopper/parker there. On that particular day i didnt use their shop but quickly popped into a neighbouring shop. I appealed the ticket when it came through but it was denied and I've just been ignoring the letters since. Can I fight this?? please help!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm not willing to pay the £256.40 they are claiming!

More likely over £340 in the total on the right?

You must read the second post of the NEWBIES thread first, please.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • NKay
    NKay Posts: 8 Forumite
    No thats the total. Their claim is £181.40 and £50 legal fees and £25 court fee.

Its probably a silly question but How do I know if mine is a 'Letter before claim' that I've received?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Their claim is £181.40 and £50 legal fees and £25 court fee.

Way OTT. Even if they won their claim, if they have not engaged a solicitor the most a judge is likely to award them is £150, it is all a scam, watch this

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    £50 to file a claim
    Of course you challenge them to show how htis is recoverable; if it is inhose it is dubious that it would be recoverable.
  • NKay
    Im struggling to find the templates for disputing a claim in my instance. Can anyone help?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Any search for CEL 2018 should find it.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is the Date of Issue on the Claim Form?

Can you please post the exact text in the Particulars of Claim box on the Claim Form?
  • NKay
    Issue date is 1st October 2018.

Particulars of claim:
    Claim for monies relating to a Parking Charge for parking in a private car park managed by the claimant in breach of the terms + Conditions (T+Cs). Drivers allowed to park in accordance with T+Cs of use. ANPR cameras and/or manual patrols are used to monitor vehicles entering + exiting the site.
    Debt + damages claimed the sum of 170.00.
    Violation date 26/11/2017
    Time in: 13:04 Time out: 13:23
    PCN ref: 7486232215
    Car reg:My reg
    Car PArk: Masala Bazar

Total due: 170.00
    The claimant claims the sum of 181.40 for monies relating to a parking charge per above including 11.40 interest pursuant to S.69 of the COunty Courts Act 1984
    Rate 8% pa from dates above to 28/9/18
    same rate to judgement or (sooner) payment
    Daily rate to judgement 0.04
    Total debt and interest due 181.40
  • NKay
    KeithP wrote: »
    What is the Date of Issue on the Claim Form?

Can you please post the exact text in the Particulars of Claim box on the Claim Form?

Particulars of claim:
    Claim for monies relating to a Parking Charge for parking in a private car park managed by the claimant in breach of the terms + Conditions (T+Cs). Drivers allowed to park in accordance with T+Cs of use. ANPR cameras and/or manual patrols are used to monitor vehicles entering + exiting the site.
    Debt + damages claimed the sum of 170.00.
    Violation date 26/11/2017
    Time in: 13:04 Time out: 13:23
    PCN ref: 7486232215
    Car reg:My reg
    Car PArk: Masala Bazar

Total due: 170.00
    The claimant claims the sum of 181.40 for monies relating to a parking charge per above including 11.40 interest pursuant to S.69 of the COunty Courts Act 1984
    Rate 8% pa from dates above to 28/9/18
    same rate to judgement or (sooner) payment
    Daily rate to judgement 0.04
    Total debt and interest due 181.40
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NKay wrote: »
    With a Claim Issue Date of 1st October, you have until 20th October to do the Acknowledgement of Service, but there is nothing to be gained by delaying it. To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Having done the AoS, you then have until 4pm on Monday 5th November 2018 to file your Defence.

Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print your Defence.
    2) Sign it and date it.
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for your Directions Questionnaire and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure