Broadband Speed Requirement

Hi
i'm currently on BT Fibre I think the download speed as advertised is 52 meg download
my contract runs out this November.Ive been looking around the comparison webites and noticed the lower speed packages 10-11 meg download seem quite a bit cheaper.I currently use Amazon &Netflix for streaming on a 4k tv. would 10-11 meg be sufficient for streaming ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    For HD, but not for 4k.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Also bear in mind that the lower speed will be ADSL. This generally involves more copper in the path back to the exchange, along with the unreliability that this can give.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Negotiate with BT for a new contract at a lower price with the threat of leaving .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Please note regarding ASDL packages 10-11 meg download , the speed depends on how far you are from the exchange. So you may not get that speed. Got part way thru the sign up process with one of them and see what price they will GUARANTEE YOU.

I would recommend a fibre package of 40MBPS, which can be had for around £22. or do a deal with BT
  • killie77
    killie77 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. I figured their would be a price to pay for the cheaper contract :)
    So im not sure what to do now. I'm thinking of cancelling Netflix and just keep Amozon for the time being.I'm not to far from the exchange maybe about 2 miles, Fibre we get is to the cabinet which is about 6oo yds away. Use the web generall for browsing. So i guess ADSL would be OK for that. Really trying to cut down the Bills this year would love to get rid of the Landline .Are their any providers that let you lose the Phone and just have Broadband. Don't have Virgin in this area. But i think Vodapfhone are laying Fibre round hre.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 October 2018 at 3:41PM
    <Use the web generall for browsing. So i guess ADSL would be OK for that >
    Yes plenty .

<would love to get rid of the Landline >

No landline how are you going to get Broadband ??

Landline as you call its is the cable that transmits your broadband data .
    Phone as in dont take out a phone package just pay for each call .Laying fibre thats BT Openreach or the VM cabling .

My negotiated end contract deal with BT gave me .
    Fibre UP TO 52 meg + Landline ( Years rental paid in advance ) + No phone package ( but free in BB package weekend calls )
    _ BT MAX TV inc BT SPORTS HD for £35.50 pm
  • killie77
    Thanks
    Paid the Phone line upfront last november when I took out the contract. Dont have any TV package just the Broadband & Phone.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    well if you are only 2 miles away ADSL would be good. But make sure you read what your predicted speed is. If its above 5Mbps that should be adequate.

There are reports on here that they don't like you moving from fibre to ASDL, but do try
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Although you don't have Virgin in your area , and you would get rid of the landline rental element if you could ( which you can with VM) , it wouldn't save you much if any money.....landline and phone , and stand alone broadband from VM are virtually the same price
  • killie77
    Thanks again for the replies. I came across PLusnet advertising 36 Meg Fibre at a reasonable price I think that offer expires today. I'm not in a rush as i dont have to put my cancellation in until the 30th of this month. I'm hoping some more good deals might appear by then. If the line Rental is to be paid I generally
    pay up front for the year so hopefully can save something on that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport