Bah, humbug.

Options
124»

Comments

• kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I have a very modest lifestyle. If student loan and interest free overdraught count as means I have always lived within them. Certainly it is something I'm all in favour of.

However it is always terribly easy to be critical of other peoples lives and I think it is worth a little time to try and understand their motivations. Society seems to bee so consumerist and materialistic and the idea that we are somehow defined by our possesions and purchases is constantly pushed on us by the media. Seems little wonder to me that those who can least afford it who are most most seduced. It is all to do with aspirations. Improved education and opportunities are the only solutions I can see.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw one woman on TV tonight who lost £2000 in this scheme. Who in their right mind spends two grand on Xmas if they are hard up?:confused:

Fair enough, but have a heart!

People have lost their Christmas savings whether it's £50 or £2000. The company waited until most people sent off their final payments and then decided to go under.

These families don't deserve derision or scorn. As I said before, the whole thing stinks. Even if they do get any money back, it will never be the full amount and the whole process could take months.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    kittiwoz wrote:
    Seems little wonder to me that those who can least afford it who are most most seduced. It is all to do with aspirations. Improved education and opportunities are the only solutions I can see.

I would say that it is the most stupid and irresponsible who are most seduced. It is just that these companies target the terminally gullible.

I agree that the conduct of the company was despicable, but so is that of these loan companies that 'restructure' debt for lower monthly payments. They have you in hock till hell freezes over, and are quite happy to throw defaulters on the street. Again, only the gullible are targeted. And gullible folk tend not to log into MSE, they are searching for the latest mobile phone, designer jacket, trainers, etc.:rolleyes:
  • weatherwax_2
    Options
    I would say that it is the most stupid and irresponsible who are most seduced. It is just that these companies target the terminally gullible.

I agree that the conduct of the company was despicable, but so is that of these loan companies that 'restructure' debt for lower monthly payments. They have you in hock till hell freezes over, and are quite happy to throw defaulters on the street. Again, only the gullible are targeted. And gullible folk tend not to log into MSE, they are searching for the latest mobile phone, designer jacket, trainers, etc.:rolleyes:

What about, for instance, elderly people? What if they have nobody to advise them (family unity ain't what it used to be), or can't afford a computer? I am grateful for much of the advice given on this site (though I am not elderly!) because many of the newspaper articles about finances can be rather confusing and full of jargon. Therefore the inability to be able to afford a computer let alone learn how to use it leaves a big gap in the knowledge of elderly people.

The epithet 'gullible' is harsh where older people are concerned, because they grew up in a completely different era when they were'nt bombarded with dubious mail and phone calls asking them to call premium rate numbers to 'win a fabulous prize' or send their personal details, or even money to 'claim their prize'.

If you're a pensioner desperately trying to make ends meet, calls and correspondence of that nature seem like the answer to their prayers, and they don't tend to have the built-in cynicism, or indeed aggressive attitude which is required to tell these thieves and con-men to go to hell.

I doubt very much that these vulnerable people
    are searching for the latest mobile phone, designer jacket, trainers

We live in a society where everyone seems determined to make a fast buck for poor or non-existent rewards/ service including tradesmen, banks, CC suppliers, building societies - you name it. How much more exhausting and difficult it must be for senior citizens to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I AM on the ball and find the whole system extremely wearing.

'Stupid'and 'irresponsible' do not necessarily equate with 'gullible', given one's individual circumstances.
    'Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy'.

H L Mencken
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it's not a case of being gullible - nobody knew the company would go under, and there have been hamper companies since i was in short trousers, and still are hamper companies running now (although they might lose some business after this has happened).

it's a bad way to save but i agree that it works for some people.

i was jus horrified at the huge amounts of money people had lost is all - do the rest of you MSE'ers spend a thousand or more on xmas?
    52% tight
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jellyhead wrote:
    since i was in short trousers

piccy required please

:D
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport