Options

Comments

• Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrcow wrote:
    No you're misquoting.

Rudyard Kipling was the one who said, "Who ate all the pies?".

I THINK YOUR WRONG I thought it was Nelly who said who ate all the f*****g pies :D

:rotfl: :rotfl:
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe that the sensible, thrifty people on MSE would ever get ripped off by one of these hamper firms. You pay about double the value of the goods for it to turn up in a cardboard box, (or not!!) then you put the pickled chestnuts, rabbits noses in aspic, and the other crud at the back of the cupboard for 5 years.

Surely if you are that rubbish at saving you buy into the Asda Xmas fund where they at least add a couple of quid on at the time you spend it.
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't believe that the sensible, thrifty people on MSE would ever get ripped off by one of these hamper firms. You pay about double the value of the goods for it to turn up in a cardboard box, (or not!!) then you put the pickled chestnuts, rabbits noses in aspic, and the other crud at the back of the cupboard for 5 years.

Surely if you are that rubbish at saving you buy into the Asda Xmas fund where they at least add a couple of quid on at the time you spend it.

On our local TV tonight most of the disappointed people were pensioners who save and contribute mainly because they have no close or interested relatives to help with their needs......... Its them I feel sorry for.
    However, if you know of anyone in your area that are either needy of, or fit into the category I mention, most Age Concerns to small hampers for Xmas (they just need a name and address of the pensioner concerned. Also many schools are delivering hampers to needy persons :T thought it was worth a mention:A
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • saintjanet
    Options
    I heard one of the people,on radio,who may have lost their money through the collapse of this company.she said it was not just a food hamper type of scheme,apparently she was expecting to receive gift vouchers to spend at well known stores,to use for her christmas gifts.

The agent was her friend and she had saved a large sum of money in this scheme,or so she thought.It sounded as if she was trying to help the friend gain some commision,so both lose out unfortunately.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Saucepot wrote:
    "Let them eat cake!" is the usual translation of "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", misattributed to Marie Antoinette

Louis XVI's coronation took place at Reims during the height of a bread shortage in Paris. This is the context in which she is incorrectly quoted as joking, "If they have no bread, then let them eat cake!" ("Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.") There is no evidence that this phrase was ever uttered by Marie Antoinette. When Marie Antoinette actually heard about the bread shortage she wrote, "It is quite certain that in seeing the people who treat us so well despite their own misfortune, we are more obliged than ever to work hard for their happiness. The king seems to understand this truth; as for myself, I know that in my whole life (even if I live for a hundred years) I shall never forget the day of the coronation."

She was executed by guillotine at the height of the French Revolution in 1793 for the crime of treason.

Well Said Saucepot.. Im sure all the kids whos parents have saved to make Christmas a " special time For them " will agree..

:rolleyes:
  • weatherwax_2
    Options
    I don't know of this firm.
    Is this like hampers for council estate families or more Fortnum and Mason?

The answer may dictate how how humour progresses.

What a strange and heartless comment. Could'nt you be bothered to read fifer's and iwanttosave's links? Plus, fifer specifically stated 'for folks who can least afford it' That would hardly apply to Fortnum and Mason, would it? Your comments also imply some sort of inverted snobbery. If people pay out money in good faith only to be deprived of their goods, I fail to see anything humorous about it, be they rich or not so well off. :angry:
    'Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy'.

H L Mencken
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Far too convenient that this happens right on the eve of getting your hampers don't you think? No prizes for guessing that the people who run this will no doubt be, I am aright Jack, with my nice new Villa in the Seychelles. Mean while, tens of thousands of mainly low incomes families having a wonderful but poor Christmas and the staff out of work
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i do think it's awful but after seeing some of the TV coverage today i've started wondering if everyone spends a thousand or more on christmas, and i'm the only one who can't afford so much?
    52% tight
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have no experience with this sort of schemes, butI think this is the trouble with them. I appreciate that hard-up families find it easier to pay a little every month so then then can have the goods for Christmas, but wouldn't it be much safer for them to put that money into a savings account and use it when needed?

I hope the above doesn't sound naive, if so apologies. :o
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i had an account with a catalogue for a while and bought some things i could never have bought in full and did not want to wait and save for. but if the people being shown on the news are paying more than a hundred each month to their hamper company then i don't understand it - they can't be poor, surely? and it's a pay-in-advance scheme, paying into a bank account or using the asda savings stamps would provide a better return.

hopefully the upshot of this will be journalists etc. making the public aware of the alternative ways to save for christmas.
    52% tight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport