Correction in progress!

Options

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    Options
    And, of course, the corollary to this being identifying the out-performers prior to the event.

It’s not hard. As I said, the good ones do not outperform by chance.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    And why not, we have to blame someone. The Daily Mail/Express tells me so.

And of course the Guardian blames no-one.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    My portfolio is down 3.93% over the last week and 1.15% today.
    I invest through HL and today's fund movements came through just before 5.30pm. You posted at 5.10pm so maybe the same for you. But if your falls include today's, please let me know your fees to manage my investments.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This means I have only made 13% in the last twelve months.

I suppose it will just have to do.

We'll manage somehow.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • JSCB
    JSCB Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Funds are forward priced so if you put in an instruction tonight you will get the price at the next valuation point, often midday but it differs by fund, for instance Vanguard's LifeStrategy is 21:00. The settlement date and your contract note will follow a few days later

So if you purchased at 20:59 would you get todays price or have to wait for tomorrows?

Thinking practically, if I were to boost my investment tonight, now, at 6.30pm UK time, will my order not go through until tomorrow nights 21:00? Do you know when the latest is you can make an order?

With shares you know the price, make the order and buy pretty much instantly, with funds it seems a bit drawn out, especially in times of volatility when you want to make the order with only the best knowledge you can, which ordering 24hours prior to knowing the buy price isn't really!

Last time I brought the fund it took several days to go through and get the contract note!
  • JSCB
    JSCB Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Was planning on increasing my VLS80 fund anyway, but is now a good time, or has the ship sailed and the markets already pretty much recovered?

Can see how the ftse's doing etc, but can't figure how to translate all that into the funds
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JSCB wrote: »
    Was planning on increasing my VLS80 fund anyway, but is now a good time, or has the ship sailed and the markets already pretty much recovered?

Can see how the ftse's doing etc, but can't figure how to translate all that into the funds

Your decision should not be influence by high frequency noise, but by long term trends
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You will know the answer to that in about 18 months
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    My portfolio is down ........1.15% today.
    Thats remarkably Good.:)
    My equity portfolio is down nearly as much as my biggest holding (SWDA World Tracker) which is down 3 times your amount -3.45%
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So if you purchased at 20:59 would you get todays price or have to wait for tomorrows?

Thinking practically, if I were to boost my investment tonight, now, at 6.30pm UK time, will my order not go through until tomorrow nights 21:00? Do you know when the latest is you can make an order?
    The valuation point is just when the fund produces the price, it's not when the trade is made. Various platforms will have their own policies for receiving and placing orders. For instance they may say instructions received before 8:00AM or 11:00AM or whatever will be placed using the next valuation point. If you placed an order for Vanguard at 20:59 your platform will just add it to the pile of orders to be processed after their cut off time the next working day
    With shares you know the price, make the order and buy pretty much instantly, with funds it seems a bit drawn out, especially in times of volatility when you want to make the order with only the best knowledge you can, which ordering 24hours prior to knowing the buy price isn't really!
    With a company share it's easy to quote the price and strike a deal in real time, with a fund of maybe thousands of holdings, less so. Some funds may hold (perhaps illiquid) bonds, property, private equity etc where an accurate price may not be available for days, perhaps weeks. As I say funds are forward priced so you can't know what it will be, it's just the nature of funds. You're going to be holding these for years so I wouldn't get hung up about it. If it bothers you have a look at how Investment Trusts work. They are shares traded in real time, they have the same issue but you will be trading in shares of the company that owns the underlying holdings and not the underlying holdings directly so there will be two prices, the company share price and the net asset value of their holdings
    Last time I brought the fund it took several days to go through and get the contract note!
    Receiving the contract note isn't critical, just admin. Check the transaction date and maybe time on it and it will probably be when you expected, a few days earlier. I've waited nearly a week for contract notes to turn up but the transaction is usually when I expected it to be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure