PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    80% of 1beds and 50% of 2 beds are owned by landlords?

...and 100% of that information is fabricated......
    Not fabricated. Cherry-picked, extrapolated and spun, perhaps.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    I have no issue with good landlords that are buying properties that FTB can't otherwise afford or doing up dilapidated properties.

My issue comes with cash buyers competing against FTB's on houses that are well within their budget. An FTB only has a finite budget compared to many cash buyers and so in my and many people I knows experience, they lose out all the time to investors who can top even a very high offer from FTB. This means they then rent them out at a higher cost to people like FTB and it inflates the bottom of the property ladder and you can never get on it.

You only have to go on Rightmove to see even a 1 bed property is very expensive, but a 2 or 3 bed isn't really that much more than a 1 bed.

Personally, I'd like to see a law change that prohibits BTL from buying starter homes.

Why are you conflating cash buyers with landlords?
    What is a "starter home"
    Why would cash buyers needlessly pay over the odds for a property (your implication) - if they are investors its important they keep within their budget to make the BTL work.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    “OP hasn't come back to add anything further to the discussion so I suspect his intention was to try and stir up an argument.
    Originally posted by fairy lights

@rentmekid "sorry for not being glued to this thread you muppet "

Point proven :D
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

Ye, I did take a glance too.

But the poster is manipulating the figures to suit the argument.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, but a link would give you much more credibility :(
    credibility?

Crashy Time?

here is a link: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/oxymoron
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options

Well, I don't think cherry picked is fair - extrapolated yes. I think it's fair to discount social sector units as they're not available to either owner occupiers or landlords, and look at how ownership is distributed for housing types within the private sector alone.

Going off table AT2.2 of the second annex of the English Housing Survey the ownership distributions for private sector properties are as follows:

1 Bed 1 Person Studio/Flat: 22% Owner Occupier / 78% Landlord
    1 Bed 2 Person Studio/Flat: 39% Owner Occupier / 61% Landlord
    2 Bed 3 Person Flat/House: 60% Owner Occupier / 40% Landlord
    2 bed 4 Person Flat/House: 63% Owner Occupier / 37% Landlord
    3 Bed 4 Person Flat/House: 76% Owner Occupier / 24% Landlord
    3 Bed 5 Person Flat/House: 82% Owner Occupier / 18% Landlord
    ....and so on in increasing proportions for owner occupiers.

I apologise for remembering the wrong figures (and and derailing the conversation in that regard) . However I do think that the distribution does demonstrate that landlords own a) the majority of private sector 1 bed units and b) over a third of private sector 2 bed units.

These are the types of properties which my rightmove continually tells me are 'ideal for first time buyers' and then also adds in 'or investors'. in my mind this quite clearly demonstrates that FtB's and landlords are in competition for the same housing stock.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    Well, I don't think cherry picked is fair - extrapolated yes. I think it's fair to discount social sector units as they're not available to either owner occupiers or landlords - Except for the right to buy scheme?..., and look at how ownership is distributed for housing types within the private sector alone. - With no data to suggest which are purpose built and which are converted properties?

Going off table AT2.2 of the second annex of the English Housing Survey the ownership distributions for private sector properties are as follows:
    1: Of the estimated 22.8 million households in England, 14.3 million or 63% were owner occupiers.
    2: the private rented sector accounted for 4.5 million or 20% of households.

Those are your 2 headline figures.

3 Bed 4 Person Flat/House: 76% Owner Occupier / 24% Landlord
    3 Bed 5 Person Flat/House: 82% Owner Occupier / 18% Landlord
    ....and so on in increasing proportions for owner occupiers. - Indeed, because people are choosing not to buy studios and one bedroom properties? Typically people buy once they are more financially stable, usually with a partner, possibly looking to start a family. That's just what the market dictates ( I still don't agree with excluding social housing, but that's up to you)

I apologise for remembering the wrong figures (and and derailing the conversation in that regard) . However I do think that the distribution does demonstrate that landlords own a) the majority of private sector 1 bed units - Yes that's true. and b) over a third of private sector 2 bed units. - Indeed

These are the types of properties which my rightmove continually tells me are 'ideal for first time buyers' and then also adds in 'or investors'. in my mind this quite clearly demonstrates that FtB's and landlords are in competition for the same housing stock.

Oh I see, so this is a problem with what a company is telling you in it's marketing material. Now I understand.

FTBs aren't usually buying the studio or one bed options by choice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it's fair to discount social sector units
    Suffice to say that 80% of 1 bed flats and 50% of 2 bed flats are owned by landlords
    Can you see the difference...?

You're instantly discarding up to 40-odd% of the total housing stock in each category... Yet we're constantly told that "Social housing is rocking horse"... No, it isn't. It's just that security of tenure makes it available rarely, and demand outstrips supply. Where is that demand coming from, if not from people who are currently in the private rental market, and not able or willing to look at ownership?

1x single is only 6% of all 1x bed properties.
    Private rental is 31% of all 1x bed, and 62% of all private sector 1x bed.
    That's a BIG difference from "80% of all"...
    Again, they're not two equal-size categories, although they're less uneven than 1x bed.

About 42% of all private-sector 2x bed are private rental. Some way short of the 50% figure...
    However I do think that the distribution does demonstrate that landlords own a) the majority of private sector 1 bed units and b) over a third of private sector 2 bed units.

Agreed with that - but that's not the same thing as the original claim of "80%/50% of all", is it?

Bear in mind many of the "or investors" properties will just not be suitable for any mortgage buyers - there's a variety of reasons for that, but they are often simply unmortgageable for some reason, usually relating to leases or commercial property restrictions. It doesn't matter whether that's a BtL buyer or a potential owner-occupier.

Equally, many properties are unavailable to potential landlords, because of lease restrictions on lettings - which can also dissuade potential owner-occupiers, because they think they may wish to let out as and when they move on in the future.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    http://news.sky.com/story/applications-from-eu-nurses-to-work-in-uk-down-96-since-brexit-vote-10913295

The supply of people up for paying 750 p.m for a dodgy flat is dwindling, just wait til they cut benefits for EU nationals......
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed with that - but that's not the same thing as the original claim of "80%/50% of all", is it?

No it's not and I apologise for getting the data wrong. If I rephrased to say that ~60% of private sector 1 bed units and ~ 30% of private sector 2 bed units are owned by landlords could we agree on those figures?
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Oh I see, so this is a problem with what a company is telling you in it's marketing material. Now I understand. FTBs aren't usually buying the studio or one bed options by choice.

It's an illustration that it's understood by the very people who are commissioned to sell these properties that FtB's and landlords are in competition for the same stock.

As to your question of choice, all of my FtB friends, colleagues and relatives have started off in 1 bed flats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure