PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Options

Comments

• LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    And why do you think that is?

That is completely ridiculous.

People like nurses, doctors, social workers, emergency services etc work bloody hard and often don't get paid fairly for what they do. It's simply not as simple as hard work = success and being rich.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    And why do you think that is?

It's fairly obvious isn't it? As a society our values are totally skewed in terms of what we consider to be valuable and how we define 'success' so that to you somebody like the mother of a friend if mine, a hospice carer who has dedicated decades to providing comfort to people in their final days, is a failure because they haven't got loads of money and a big house.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    OK, firstly. less of the attitude. - Excuse me? - baffled why you think you can tell me what I can and cannot say. I'm not being abusive.

Secondly, for many those rabbit hutches are the only affordable property. - That's unfortunate. Not sure why that means legislation is needed.... Of course others can afford to live in larger properties, but for many, even those earning a decent wage, starter homes are the only affordable thing. - They're not.

I know life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we should seek to make it fair. You can have fair competition, in fact it's healthy. I believe strongly in a healthy economy, I just dislike the parasitic aspect of it, when it's not necessary.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. No I don't think we should seek to make it fair, if that means legislation to protect everyone from everything.

I do not want my children being wrapped in cotton wool and told that nothing bad will happen, no matter what you do, because the law will step in.
  • Guest101
    Options
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    That is completely ridiculous.

People like nurses, doctors, social workers, emergency services etc work bloody hard and often don't get paid fairly for what they do. It's simply not as simple as hard work = success and being rich.

In your opinion*...

In what way do you think that any of those professions are badly paid? I agree that many do overtime (much of which is paid) and work very hard. They also get paid a very decent wage for that job.
  • Guest101
    Options
    It's fairly obvious isn't it? As a society our values are totally skewed in terms of what we consider to be valuable and how we define 'success' so that to you somebody like the mother of a friend if mine, a hospice carer who has dedicated decades to providing comfort to people in their final days, is a failure because they haven't got loads of money and a big house.

Did I say that? Or are you putting words 'in my mouth'

If someone chooses to dedicate their life to whatever profession - eg a hospice carer, they are not a failure. But they cannot expect to be a millionaire either.

People are responsible for the choices they make. As long as they're happy with their lot, they are not failures. If they (not me) are not happy, they should consider why that is.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    In your opinion*...

In what way do you think that any of those professions are badly paid? I agree that many do overtime (much of which is paid) and work very hard. They also get paid a very decent wage for that job.

Why don't you do it for a day (that's at least 12 or 13 hours by the way) and then tell us what you think you should be paid for your efforts?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Did I say that? Or are you putting words 'in my mouth'

If someone chooses to dedicate their life to whatever profession - eg a hospice carer, they are not a failure. But they cannot expect to be a millionaire either.

People are responsible for the choices they make. As long as they're happy with their lot, they are not failures. If they (not me) are not happy, they should consider why that is.

So what kind of hard work and success is it that you think should be rewarded with expensive properties?
  • Guest101
    Options
    Why don't you do it for a day (that's at least 12 or 13 hours by the way) and then tell us what you think you should be paid for your efforts?

<--- works for the NHS....
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    <--- works for the NHS....

What's your job title? No way in hell are you clinical!
  • Guest101
    Options
    So what kind of hard work and success is it that you think should be rewarded with expensive properties?

If you want lots of money = make a career choice that pays lots of money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport