Can i learn to drive a minibus?

Options
Hi all,

It's my first time posting on this site, so apologies if this has been answered before...

I'm 21 years old, and have been driving for 1 year. Does anyone know if I can learn to drive a minibus now, and then do my test in a years time?

Thanks

ND

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you can do similar to how you can learn to drive a car at 16 but cant pass till 17.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Really?

IIRC this would only be the case if the 16 yr old was receiving higher rate disability benefits.

As to the OP's question you need to be 21 and have held a licence for 2 years before you can get the provisional D1 added to it.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you can do similar to how you can learn to drive a car at 16 but cant pass till 17.
    Not so:-

https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-can-drive/y/car-category-b/16
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    According to GOV.UK you need to be 21 years of age AND have held a full driving licence for 2 years. See the link.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The ironic part of this is you need to be 21 to drive a small minibus but you can drive an artic weighing 44 tonnes or more from 18 years old.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The ironic part of this is you need to be 21 to drive a small minibus but you can drive an artic weighing 44 tonnes or more from 18 years old.

Even more ridiculous is that you can do your PCV and drive a double decker bus on stage carriage work at 18. But to drive the same vehicle under EU rules (private hire) you have to be 24 or avbove.

Crazy.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Even more ridiculous ...But to drive the same vehicle under EU rules ... you have to be 24 or avbove.

Crazy.

Not for much longer, hehe. Don't get me wrong, I voted to remain...for various reasons. But some of the EU laws that are foisted upon us are ridiculous in the extreme. I like the French model - "We'll agree to the laws we like, we'll ignore those we don't like". :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure