Identity Documentation/proof for over 85's in UK?

Options
2»

Comments

• EllEEYA
    EllEEYA Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    A passport would be free for someone born on or before 2 September 1929 though getting one may have its own difficulties.

gov.uk/passport-fees

Why does the title refer to over 85's when grandmother is 95? Free passport would apply to the latter but not the former.

Does she not have any official letters such as from HMRC or DWP?

Thanks for this recommendation - I will certainly look into it. I wasnt aware of this - vm appreciated!

She does receive official letters - but the post office wouldnt accept these. They wanted passports, credit cards or driving licenses.

Apologies for the broad title, it was/is my first post and didnt really know how specific or broad to be - will be more specific going forward.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should also look at a POA. Its much easier to obtain when the elderly person is complis mentis and will help a lot with organising things at any later stage.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a credit card would do the job, why not apply for one and keep it solely for ID purposes?

Although I'd second the suggestion of getting Power of Attorney, while you can.

Slightly surprised at the zealousness of the PO, mind you. Have very rarely been asked for ID when collecting from the PO, just the 'you weren't in' slip has often been adequate.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My PO always ask for ID. Here is a list of what they say they will accept:
    We’ll accept any of these:
    • Birth certificate
    • Building society book
    • Cheque book
    • Cheque guarantee card
    • Council tax payment book
    • Credit card
    • Credit card statement (no older than 6 months)
    • Debit card
    • Full driving licence
    • Marriage certificate
    • Military photo ID
    • Police Warrant Card
    • Foreign national identity card
    • National Savings bank book
    • Valid passport
    • Paid utilities bill (no older than 6 months)
    • Standard acknowledgement letter (SAL) issued by the Home Office for asylum seekers
    • Trade union card
    If you’re under the age of 18 and can’t provide any of the above, we’ll take one of the following too (originals, not copies):
    • Medical card
    • National Insurance card
    • Savings book
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • General_Grant
    Options
    EllEEYA wrote: »
    An expired passport isn't sufficient - Because it is clipped on the corner it isnt always accepted.

Expired passports are "clipped on the corner" by the authorities issuing a new passport. So therefore there would be a more recent one, even if it has itself expired.

However it is true that some organisations insist on passports being "in date".
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    However it is true that some organisations insist on passports being "in date".

Nationwide BS requires that passports be "valid". I can't see them being valid if expired.
    https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/proving-your-identity
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure