Harlands

Options
Right folks, this will be a little long winded but I need a little help. I had a membership with Xercise4less to which I never missed a payment also completed my initial 12 months as the contract requests. 8 months into my 2nd year I cancelled my contract the correct way. Sending an email to harlands with all my details passing all the criteria to cancel. I then received two emails at separate time stating my membership would expire 30 days after the notice period. Bearing in mind I cancelled on 14 March 18. Received email back on 26 march18 believing my last payment would have been March. But I then paid another in april. I then thought ok I can cope with that. I then rang Xercise4less to confirm my thoughts. I was informed my account name was in red meaning no more payments would be due as I have completed all necessary steps to cancel. After looking at my banking app I have noticed in my horror that it states that harlands haver requested another payment. I have all my emails regarding the cancellation off harlands. Has anybody else had this problem? Will they take another payment or is it just my app updating? What can my bank do to help? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.xercise4less.co.uk/membership/cancel-your-membership/ advises that you should cancel directly with Xercise4less (rather than Harlands, who presumably just collect the payments).

Have you received confirmation in writing (including email) from Xercise4less (not Harlands) that your membership expired on a specific date?

At https://www.xercise4less.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/ they suggest dealing with the local Xercise4less manager if you have a complaint, so if another payment is taken after expiry of the notice period then it sounds like you need to go down that route.

You can cancel the direct debit mandate with the bank, even though the Xercise4less cancellation policy says not to, but it sounds like it's too late to stop this one, so the key now is to get it refunded (if it happens) and to stop any more going through.
  • Vantomney1
    Vantomney1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have contacted Xercise4less as I mentioned they have advised on two occasions to speak to harlands. I guess I just trused them to play flair and honour the cancellation process. I now know this is not going to happen. I didn't cancel the direct debit as they are known for charging extra for no being able to collect. I have held up my part of the deal so should they.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm just going by what it says on the Xercise4less website as they certainly make it appear to be a fairly straightforward process there. However, if you have some evidence that Xercise4less directed you towards Harlands instead of accepting your cancellation then that sounds like reason to complain, but first things first, have Xercise4less accepted your cancellation request in writing yet?

Make sure you stick to the process documented in the contract between you and Xercise4less as that's what anyone reviewing a dispute will look at....
  • Vantomney1
    Options
    Yes I have been contacted by Xercise4less and yes my membership cancelation has been accepted by xercise for less stating I had given my 30 days notice. Although my direct debit has not been cancelled by harlands as agreed. I'm with in two minds to cancel my direct debit as I have followed all the process to a t. But my biggest concern would be if they attempt to charge me. Would I be within my rights as I have served my notice?
  • Vantomney1
    Options
    Re: Membership Cancellation Request

CO

Cancellations Head Office <cancellations@xercise4less.co.uk>

Mon 26/03/2018 12:21

Inbox

To:

topcat_222@hotmail.co.uk;

Thank you for contacting Xercise4Less. In regards to cancelling your
    membership, we can confirm that your account has now been cancelled.
    Your 30 days' notice period starts from the day you submitted your
    cancellation form.

Please do not cancel your direct debit as Xercise4Less will do this
    for you as part of the cancellation process.

Don't forget, you will have 30 days after your final payment to use
    the Xercise4Less facilities.

We are sad to see you go and hope you have enjoyed your time with us.

Healthy Regards,

Team Xercise4Less.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to make an official complaint and request refund for over payment, siting you will take it to the ombudsmen. I would send it to both xercise4less and harlands
  • Vantomney1
    Options
    I will be contacting harlands tomorrow regarding a fiasco of a cancellation procedure also demanding return of monies for overpayment. I will also going the the bank to seek advice regarding the direct debit. Thanks all
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    If that is your genuine e-mail address in post #6 then I would advise deleting it ASAP. You don't ant every nutter and shyster spamming you for eternity!
  • jadestar1958
    Options
    Vantomney1 wrote: »
    I have contacted Xercise4less as I mentioned they have advised on two occasions to speak to harlands. I guess I just trused them to play flair and honour the cancellation process. I now know this is not going to happen. I didn't cancel the direct debit as they are known for charging extra for no being able to collect. I have held up my part of the deal so should they.

i am now having problems with xercise4less - i had not realised that when the 12 month contact expires they can roll it over - i thought it was cancelled and have been paying for a gym i have not used- i am trying to get a refund
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    i am now having problems with xercise4less - i had not realised that when the 12 month contact expires they can roll it over - i thought it was cancelled and have been paying for a gym i have not used- i am trying to get a refund

You have zero chance of getting a refund. You have been charged for a service that you signed up for. Give them the required notice (probably 30 days) of cancellation, and you will pay no more.

This may sound harsh, but next time you sign up to a contract, read it carefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure