How much do you spend on food?

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you're talking about a bigger chicken than I am.

I don't normally buy portioned chicken but I got a couple of reduced FR chicken breasts yesterday and, having checked, they're 125 gms each (uncooked) so would be about 80gms once cooked.

I'm afraid I wouldn't want to split 80gms of chicken between 2 people.
    They've already been portioned into two. The original breast was 250 grams and the butcher has cut it into two so you are sharing a chicken breast.

If you've ever butchered a chicken yourself the breast is actually quite big. It's very thick and most people would split it in two....i.e 4 of those pre-packaged portions per bird.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I also like eating exotic meats (ostrich, kangaroo, buffalo, horse etc)
    Then you're in luck this week - just looked at the Lidl Deluxe range (20% off atm) :eek:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhh now that's where we differ. If I'm cooking a roast dinner then there's always Yorkshire puds, no matter what the main meat dish plus roast potatoes, parsnips and at least 2-3 other veg dishes from mashed root (celeriac, swede, carrots, turnips) steamed baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower cheese or stir-fry leeks & cabbage etc - depends what's in season - in summer it might be a medley of roast Mediterranean veg & sweet potato or salads.

Roasted Med Veg is an exception I would make - I could eat a plateful of that with almost any meat or even as a starter on its own.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    They've already been portioned into two. The original breast was 250 grams and the butcher has cut it into two so you are sharing a chicken breast.

If you've ever butchered a chicken yourself the breast is actually quite big. It's very thick and most people would split it in two....i.e 4 of those pre-packaged portions per bird.

I don't think that's the case, mine have the skin on so they're definitely not one breast portioned into two.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think that's the case, mine have the skin on so they're definitely not one breast portioned into two.

I don't suppose you have a link to them online. My bet still is they say "fillets" which means half of one chicken breast. The other half would have been used in the skinless packet.

The store/butcher will make much more money butchering a large bird getting 4 chicken breast portions/fillets from each chicken than butchering small birds and wasting a lot of bone, skin and fat.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    I agree Annie01234 I think some people must live on fresh air. As I mentioned in my previous post, I cook everything from scratch, batch cook & freeze, have absolutely no waste and shop as cheaply as possible (Aldi etc) yet still spend at least £50 - £75 a week just on myself and the odd visiting adult child.

How the poster above can also include another adult, child plus two dogs in this figure astonishes me. My dog alone costs at least £20 a week to feed and is not included in my grocery spend as I source his food separately.

Honestly it's really easy if needs must we could probably last on £30 - £40 per week. We eat really well and have a really stocked cupboards. We buy loads organic and fair trade within this budget too. The key is that we meal plan, and cook from scratch, we waste nothing, we are two veggies and one meat eater who chooses to rarely eat meat. Try cutting out meat a couple of days a week and you will see your food budget drop. Also it's loads healthier. It is recommended that you eat non meat or dairy protein twice a week anyway.

One dog has allergies so are limited on foods but this one is good for him and not very expensive. We have two small pooches so this bag lasts about 4-5 weeks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harringtons-Food-Complete-Salmon-Potato/dp/B00A689BFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459891646&sr=8-1&keywords=Salmon+and+potato

Honestly £50 per week is a breeze for us. Try cutting back on meat if you want to spend less.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Then you're in luck this week - just looked at the Lidl Deluxe range (20% off atm) :eek:

Seriously? My nearest Lidl is a 40 mile round trip but I've just about exhausted my current freezer stash of exotic meats. I've been meaning to go for some months so maybe this is the catalyst I need :T:beer:
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Honestly it's really easy if needs must we could probably last on £30 - £40 per week. We eat really well and have a really stocked cupboards. We buy loads organic and fair trade within this budget too. The key is that we meal plan, and cook from scratch, we waste nothing, we are two veggies and one meat eater who chooses to rarely eat meat. Try cutting out meat a couple of days a week and you will see your food budget drop. Also it's loads healthier. It is recommended that you eat non meat or dairy protein twice a week anyway.

One dog has allergies so are limited on foods but this one is good for him and not very expensive. We have two small pooches so this bag lasts about 4-5 weeks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harringtons-Food-Complete-Salmon-Potato/dp/B00A689BFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459891646&sr=8-1&keywords=Salmon+and+potato

Honestly £50 per week is a breeze for us. Try cutting back on meat if you want to spend less.
    Thought you said on your earlier post...special diet...expensive food. That's just normal average everyday dog food at £16.80 for 12kg which is a very good price but that is certainly not premium dog food. It only has 20% meat. It's main ingredient is Maize which is just a cheap carb filler. You need to feed much more of that product than a product that has a higher meat content.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I don't suppose you have a link to them online. My bet still is they say "fillets" which means half of one chicken breast. The other half would have been used in the skinless packet.

The store/butcher will make much more money butchering a large bird getting 4 chicken breast portions/fillets from each chicken than butchering small birds and wasting a lot of bone, skin and fat.

Yes, when butchering a chicken you can get a full breast (usually 200-250g) or you can get a fillet breast (175g) because it's had a portion cut away and sold as mini fillet 75-100g each. This is how unscrupulous butchers double the price.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spend around £25- £35 a week for 3 adults

I do scratch cook. We do have hens and a veg garden I have access to a chicken factory outlet ( this week got 3 large Oakham chicks for £2 each, three turkey breast roast for a £1 each and large packs of boneless,skinless thighs for £2 a pack), so my meat bill the next few weeks will be lower,which means I get to top up stores of spices, herbs etc

Whilst we do eat meat a lot, we don't eat a lot of it iykwim. Myself personally would only manage two slices of meat on Sunday dinner. One thin cut pork chop is plenty for me and mum, DH would eat two but it means there's always a couple from a pack to freeze for another day

We do eat a lot of cheaper cuts as well but I do like to use different cuisines to make the best of them so we don't feel short changed

We none of us are big on fruit, I just buy for DH's lunch box usually and bananas and grapes for the grandkids visits. Do like tinned fruit though :)

Fish we tend to get our quota from tinned or the reduced section or special offers. I myself love sardines and will have them at least twice a week

We do eat out, we do have the odd takeaway, that amount is just food and general cleaning stuff, not personal toiletries, drink, pet food. I think we eat very well on that amount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure