Moving from ESA to UC

Options
Hey, I'm really struggling to find some info on this so I thought i'd try here.

I'm 22 and my family member recently passed who I was living with, I will be moving into a 1 bed flat soon and where it is is in a UC area so I will need to move over to that when I move. I'm just worried about a few things.

I've been on ESA since 2014 (Work related since Jan 2015) (£104 a week) (Not due to be reassed until 2020)
PIP since about October 2017. (£55 a week) (Not due to be reassed until 2022 ish)
So I get about £600 a month.

I'm scared that when I have to move to UC I'm going to be worse off? I was wondering if anyone has answers for a few of my questions since I can't find them online and I've tried going through all 3 of those benefits calculators but they all say something different. The best I got was it saying I'd be able to get about £600 on UC which I would be fine with as that doesnt include my PIP so that could cover my bills and such.

1. Will my PIP be affected? I assume not but I want to be sure.
2. I will want the housing benefits to aid in my rent, but it says I can only get the shared room rate, but I've seen conflicting things saying because im on PIp I can get a 1bed rate?
3. Will the housing benefit be included in the extra awards in UC?
4. Will they do a WCA? I'm terrified of them deciding I'm magically well enough. (Lovely list of mental health problems and I know people have iffy opinions on mental health)
5. Just what additional parts of UC will I be able to get? I've tried looking and it's all alien to me. My original plan was to apply for Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefits ontop of my ESA and PIP. With that I would've been able to pay my bills and save a bit to the side, but with UC it's really thrown me in the deep end of confusion.

Thankyou for any help, I'm sorry if I asked any questions wrong. This will be my first time finally living alone so I want to try and stay on top of things and get prepared.

Comments

• bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your PIP the daily living at standard rate?

Do you now live alone?

Does anyone get Carers Allowance for looking after you?

Do you claim help with your rent now via HB?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add to Bigbill's important questions are you moving to a different council area or staying in the one you live in now?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • SteampunkFossil
    Options
    bigbill wrote: »
    Is your PIP the daily living at standard rate?

Do you now live alone?

Does anyone get Carers Allowance for looking after you?

Do you claim help with your rent now via HB?

Yes, standard rate
    Yes
    No
    No, my family member left some money to the side to cover bills until I can move out.
    Ames wrote: »
    Just to add to Bigbill's important questions are you moving to a different council area or staying in the one you live in now?

Moving to a different council area, sorry I forgot to add this info to the top.
  • Ames
    edited 19 July 2018 at 11:12PM
    Options
    This is going to get complicated...

If you're getting the severe disability premium on your ESA under current rules you'd lose that under UC. I believe you'd also lose the work related activity group premium. Neither of those exist in UC.

But, the government has just announced that people currently getting the SDP who move to UC will have transitional protection. Unless there's been another announcement in the last couple of days no-one knows how or when it's going to be implemented yet.

Your PIP won't be affected.

This is assuming your ESA is income based and not contribution based.
  • SteampunkFossil
    Options
    This is going to get complicated...

If you're getting the severe disability premium on your ESA under current rules you'd lose that under UC. I believe you'd also lose the work related activity group premium. Neither of those exist in UC.

But, the government has just announced that people currently getting the SDP who move to UC will have transitional protection. Unless there's been another announcement in the last couple of days no-one knows how or when it's going to be implemented yet.

Your PIP won't be affected.

This is assuming your ESA is income based and not contribution based.

I dont think im getting the severe disability premium. I'm on the normal ESA rate and then the work related activity group bonus. Sorry if I said otherwise! Yes my ESA is income based.
  • Ames
    edited 19 July 2018 at 11:26PM
    Options
    I dont think im getting the severe disability premium. I'm on the normal ESA rate and then the work related activity group bonus. Sorry if I said otherwise! Yes my ESA is income based.

You didn't say otherwise, but if you live alone and no-one claims carer's allowance and you get PIP then you should be getting the SDP. You need to call the DWP and apply for it - it's not awarded automatically. You really need to do this because of the announcement that if you're already getting it you can carry on getting it under UC.

As I said there is no work related activity group bonus under UC.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to call the DWP and apply for it - it's not awarded automatically. You really need to do this because of the announcement that if you're already getting it you can carry on getting it under UC.

Totally agree with this.
    This could be very important for you.
    Phone the DWP asap.
    If they can't do it over the phone, you will need an IS10 form sent to you.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/printable_version_of_is10_form
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • SteampunkFossil
    SteampunkFossil Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2018 at 2:32AM
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Totally agree with this.
    This could be very important for you.
    Phone the DWP asap.
    If they can't do it over the phone, you will need an IS10 form sent to you.

I will do this tomorrow then, thankyou!

Do you know/ have any advice for any of my other questions?

Edit: Is there a specific number I should ring? DWP has quite a few... Or should I ring the ESA one?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to ring ESA to claim the SDP.
    When you claim UC all your money will be in one monthly payment and includes your rent. Council tax reduction needs to be claimed separately.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2018 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Another one agreeing about applying for the Severe Disability Premium asap.

You can ask for it to be backdated to the day your relative passed away.

And just to confirm that you do get an extra amount for being in the WRAG with your UC as your claim started before 3 April 2017.

Go on this link to find out how much you will get and use the calculator in the link.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Your daily living PIP and SDP will entitle you to the one bed rate of LHA and be part of your UC claim.

See here:
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2017-0556/54_HC-Under_35_rules_v5.0_HoC.pdf

Don't forget to apply for council tax separately.

Just to check that this is correct can you confirm that you do not have savings over £6000?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure