SSE gas engineer deliberately fitted dangerous part

Options
abc123456
abc123456 Posts: 352 Forumite
edited 11 November 2017 at 5:33PM in Consumer rights
Hello,
I would like some advice on how to escalate this, as the company concerned (SSE), nor Gas Safe are replying to me.

The situation is, that last year my elderly, disabled mother, called SSE Home Services to repair an apparent fault to her gas combi boiler.

The SSE engineer came, replaced a part, and signed it off as "work completed", in terms of Gas Regulations.

Several months later, my mothers own energy provider (British Gas), came to fit a Smart Meter, and during a routine check of the gas boiler, found that the part fitted by the SSE engineer several months earlier, had been either fitted whilst already damaged, or had altered the part so as to render it dangerous.

The part was very visible altered/damaged in such a way that it would be impossible to consider it otherwise.

Either way, British Gas immediately disconnected the boiler and certified it "At Risk".

Apparently the "part" concerned had been fitted with a large damaged gap, which would allow vented Carbon Monoxide to re-enter the house, thus putting any occupant at risk of CO poisoning. Such was the size of the gap that daylight could be seen through the hole, of which was supposed to be a sealed, protective unit. The part has been retained and photographed.

An independent local engineer who came to replace the dangerous part was also of the same opinion that a dangerous part had been fitted by the SSE engineer, and the result of that was a potential danger of CO poisoning.

I took up the matter with SSE and initially they blamed my mother for not spotting it herself sooner, and also the fact that since that time, she had not renewed her Boiler insurance with SSE.

However, at the beginning of October 17, I was told by SSE Customer Services to forward all photos of the damaged part, and documentation from British Gas, to them for assessment.

I did this, but, despite many requests for updates from SSE, they are not responding to me, nor my mother.

2 weeks ago, I informed SSE by registered letter that unless they responded with an update to this very serious matter, I would report the matter to BBC Watchdog and report the engineer to Gas Safe.

No contact or acknowledgment to this has been forthcoming from SSE, and so I did complain to BBC Watchdog and report the SSE engineer to Gas Safe.

I am not able as yet to report the matter to the Ombudsman as 8 weeks have not passed since "informing" SSE.

As a former Police Officer, quite knowledgeable in criminal matters, I can see potential criminal offences here, committed both by the engineer for deliberate negligence which could have caused death or injury, as well as Fraud for certifying regulatory work as safe, when it clearly was not.

SSE are also liable as this gas engineer`s employer, and I have told them this.

I just think it is appalling that SSE has such a derisory attitude to such a serious issue, and still, in these days of big company accountability, they do nothing, forcing people like mother to take drastic measures to get their attention and resolution.

Any advice on how to escalate this further would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post up the photos, there are gas engineers that will know what they are looking at on here?

The BG engineer should have done a RIDDOR report that would have been investigated as well as signing it off as Immediately dangerous and disconnecting the boiler.

You say the part is damaged and several months have passed, so who is to say the damage wasn't caused by the occupants of the house. This is just me playing devils advocate here. Without the RIDDOR report and sufficient sufficient proof the passage of time makes the case difficult.

I am curious as to what part it was however.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why did your report it to bbc watchdog?
    Surely you’re aware it’s just a tv programme?
  • abc123456
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Why did your report it to bbc watchdog?
    Surely you’re aware it’s just a tv programme?

Just in case there were similar complaints about SSE..why else would I do that? I know they are not an regulatory investigative body..its a TV program to highlight problems such as these.
  • abc123456
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Can you post up the photos, there are gas engineers that will know what they are looking at on here?

I will do that as soon as I work out how to do that....within the hour!

You say the part is damaged and several months have passed, so who is to say the damage wasn't caused by the occupants of the house. This is just me playing devils advocate here. Without the RIDDOR report and sufficient sufficient proof the passage of time makes the case difficult.

My mother lives alone...once you see the photos you will understand why no-one else could damage it.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    abc123456 wrote: »
    Just in case there were similar complaints about SSE..why else would I do that? I know they are not an regulatory investigative body..its a TV program to highlight problems such as these.

Even there had been , its entertainment, so no guarantee they’d be interested .
    I think it weakens your stance to threaten them with someone like this ,I doubt it would scare them.
  • abc123456
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Even there had been , its entertainment, so no guarantee they’d be interested .
    I think it weakens your stance to threaten them with someone like this ,I doubt it would scare them.

Not to scare..to attempt to highlight.
  • abc123456
    Options
    [IMG][/img]wvz5m8.jpg
  • abc123456
    Options
    2vjqz9y.jpg
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What exactly are we looking at there? What bit is the damaged bit? You said there was a big hole you could see daylight through but that all looks intact
  • abc123456
    Options
    Apart from the photos not being rotated, you can see that the engineer has tried to cut this flue pipe vent part to fit, however, it so badly cut, and at an angle, that it did not butt up against whatever part that was to seal it in place, resulting in daylight being visible through the gap, which in turn led to fumes being able to be blown back in.

After he fitted it, he would be able to see daylight, and the possiblity of fumes being blown back in....so he then certified it as work done to Regulations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure