Water not charged for during renovation, will it be back dated

Options
Hi I contacted the water supplier to a property I inherited to advise of name change etc, they told me on more than 1 occasion that as the property is under renovation and no-one is actively living there they cannot charge for water supply or standing charge...I said I didn't think this was right as we would be using water during renovations, they again insisted as it was unoccupied they would not be able to charge even if water was being used....this was over 12 -18 months ago...we will hopefully be moving into the property before the end of the year. My question is, although they said they could not charge for water whilst property is empty, will they bill us for the water that was used once we move in....it's on a meter and the last reading was supplied when the former owner sadly passed away.....or will we only be responsible for the water supply from the time we actually take up full occupation.....I did try very hard to say to them I didn't think it was right not to pay even though we were not living there but they insisted they could not charge...just need the heads up before we move in and send a reading in.
TIA

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family