Lightweight travel scooter

Options

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2019 at 10:59AM
    Options
    The first thing to decide on is does she want a 3 whell or 4 wheel scooter?

Next, as she is only 58 inches tall she most likely does not weigh much so would not require anything big.

Next, how often would it be used, and how far would it need to travel when in use and mhow long would it be used for at any one time - deciding or looking at this would give an idea of what to look at.

Next, does it have to come apart to put in the back of a car? Some do but there are some travel ones that don't.

You say you can tow it on a bus, but have you contacted the bus company and asked if they will allow the things on their vehicles - some do but others don't.

Once the above have been considered then you can start looking.

Also you need to take into consideration that some kerbs do not have a dropped section which scooters can use to get on or off kerbs and very often if they do some idiot has parked right in front of the dropped bit rendering it useless.

EDIT - these things start at about £400 brand new and can be had from £50 second hand but would advise if you go for a used one then allow up to an extra £50 for new batteries.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2019 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Thank you for all these things to consider, D_M_E. I have bookmarked this thread as there is so much to consider and it is all really helpful.

It would not have to be used every day just yet but she would prefer one likely to last a while and would need more use in future. An easy to fold lightweight (not too big) one would make storage and transport easier. Wants as much independence for as long as possible to do shopping and go out on bus or train alone when able to. Something lightweight which could be pulled along like a trolley when not in use - also to get on to the bus etc. The expensive eFOLDi one (as linked to above on Post #9) looks very good.

Not needed for long journeys - pavement only and probably return trips of about 6-8 miles round journey as a maximum to local shops and Health Centre etc. The local buses can accommodate wheelchairs, manual and electric and even twin size baby buggies, so, if folded easily, should take a small lightweight scooter.

Would like to take it (rarely) on U.K. bus tour holidays. Can walk some short distances unaided at present.

Not urgent yet and is still saving. All the information and things to consider are very much appreciated, thank you.

Crimson
  • D_M_E
    Options
    Just because the buses will take pushchairs, wheelchairs and the like does NOT mean they will take mobility scooters.

You need to ASK the company what their policy on the things is.

This also goes for the bus tour companies - a lot of them will not carry scooters and they will not allow their drivers to lift them into the luggage compartment, nor will they allow the rider's assistant, if one is present, to put the thing on the bus - I write from experience.

As for trains - again, you need to ask the train operators what their policy is - some will take them, no problem, just roll up and take it on the train, but others require you to book them on the train and give them notice.

Return trips of 6-8 miles - I'll have a look and come back tomorrow when I've got a spare few minutes, but would say that she needs something which is light and has either a single 32ah battery or two batteries ether 15ah or 17ah each. There are some which have a claimed range of 10 miles but they have two 12ah batteries and may not manage 6-8 miles.

With distance, you also need to take into account any slopes or hills, if the terrain or distance travelled is/would be all on the flat then not much problem, but if any slopes or hills are involved then going up them would, depending on the gradient, gobble up the battery's power, as would dodging any uneven pavement or potholes or even traversing cobbles if there are any in her area.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    D_M_E. Thanks for your input.

I am looking for something that is not too heavy and folds.
    If you point me in the right direction that would be just great.

I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 13 July 2019 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Glad of all your knowledge, thank you D_M_E.

Although it is very expensive, what is your view on the eFOLDi, please?

Crimson
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad of all your knowledge, thank you D_M_E.

Although it is very expensive, what is your view on the eFOLDi, please?

Crimson

Would you be happy to pay now but wait til DEcember to get it?
    I am unsure :think:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This could be ideal for the lady in question. I know it is likely to be above her budget as she wondered about a good second hand one being a possibility.

As it is important and would help her a lot, but not very urgent, this one in the link could be a real possibility. She is saving for one and is eager for advice/recommendations such as this one. Thank you very much for this link and good suggestion, jewelly.

If your friend buys this one would you consider letting us know how they get on, please? It would be good to know how robust it is when, eventually, it would possibly be in daily use.

Crimson

Yes, I will feedback and let you know how he gets on. He first saw it advertised on TV and is going to ask for a home demonstration first. He is about 7st in weight with very little muscle and intends taking it on the bus to town and then getting around the town centre shops before returning via the bus. It does look ideal.
  • D_M_E
    Options
    The efoldi looks innovative, but I think there is too much room between the seat and the tiller for a 7 stone person, I think it would be too big for someone so small.

From the usage description in the original post, I think it's not a travel scooter that's needed, more something a little more sturdy yet still light and easy to handle.

I've had a quick look and think the Abilize Trident 3-wheel would do the job - you will have to do a search for it, I can't do copy and paste on the phone - it comes apart in 5 bits, battery box, rear wheel section, front bit, seat and basket, has a total weight including batteries of 42Kg and easily dismantles and reassebles. Has an onboard charger too.

If you do choose this or something similar then ask for the larger batteries for a better range.

Am sure there's someone local who has one, I'll go round and ask what they think of it and see how they move it about and report back.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 14 July 2019 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Thank you so very much. It is a lot to think about and the replies have given lots to check out and, using the helpful links and information, discuss with the lady. She is thinking ahead and saving for when she can buy the right one for her - considering she will be less able in the future.

She has stairs at present and is thinking about alternative housing - but probably not affordable and folding scooter would be a great help to her.

I'll keep checking here for any more posts - all great and already very much appreciated, thank you all and D_M_E for good advice. I have looked at the link you gave and it looks good and much better for the lady's budget.

Crimson
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Options
    My husband bought a mobility scooter recently, not for daily use, as he still drives, but to put in the car for when we go out for days out, as he cannot walk far, and often car parks are a long way to walk from where we want to be.
    I wish we had done a bit more research first, like you are doing.
    The one he chose was the second cheapest in the shop, at £450, new, not second hand. It has four wheels and can be used on pavements but not roads.
    It can be dismantled into five parts to put in a car boot, but two of the parts are quite heavy to lift in. The battery is heavy but the main chassis is bigger and heavier and I find it a bit much for me. So this needs to be checked out before purchase.
    We did not come across anything which could be towed.

I use buses a lot and I have never seen a mobility scooter on a bus. She needs to check with the bus company. Most coach companies will not take scooters either.
    Another point to consider is the terrain where it will be used. Lightweight scooters do not handle well on gravel or cobbles or rough paths or anywhere where there are obstacles eg tree roots.
    Lots to think about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport