Telephone fraud

Options
I'm a person who doesn't normally answer calls from unknown numbers. After the call is ended, I google it and find it's a spam call. As normally the caller would leave a message.

Recently I received a call from an unknown number, I googled it found it was "tax office" but no message was left. Normally I will call them back, but there was no message. Plus I know "tax office" wouldn't call people but write to you.

Never thought this crap goes on phones!

Please beware my dear mse friends.

Thanks

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's some kind of fraud then at least give us the number.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Which 'tax office'? Income tax, Value Added tax, Council tax,
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you Google it, it appears as "tax office" but it's not. It's seems someone has cloned it. Why didn't they leave a message on my mobile phone?

I heard about it before I received this call on my phone. That's why I didn't answer. In the past 13 years, tax office have always written to me.

On BBC morning (can't remember programme name) a lot of banks do it and other spam companies.

I believe genuine callers would leave a message.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    When you Google it, it appears as "tax office" but it's not. It's seems someone has cloned it. Why didn't they leave a message on my mobile phone?

I heard about it before I received this call on my phone. That's why I didn't answer. In the past 13 years, tax office have always written to me.

On BBC morning (can't remember programme name) a lot of banks do it and other spam companies.

Sorry but this seems to be a bit of a non story.

Yes there are scam callers out there, but youve given no info and this may well have been a genuine call.

It is the correct number for HMRC and you have no proof if it a scam call other than them not leaving a message...
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    When you Google it, it appears as "tax office" but it's not. It's seems someone has cloned it.

When you Google it, it appears as the tax credits helpline.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-enquiries
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options

Seems a legitimate number - tax credits.

They don't leave a message because they cant verify your identity via voicemail.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

HMRC wouldn't leave a message. After all, how would they know for sure they were calling the correct number for the person they want to speak to. Seems genuine to me, it's the number for HMRC.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check out the website "who called me".
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Any how, i only gave this information to protect people on mse. Whether you answer it or not, that's your choice. I would like them to write to me first before calling.

I remember once a bank who I bank with called me for an appointment but he asked for my details. I responded I don't give my details on the phone and responded yes to the appointment I had made.

I'm sure you have seen a TV advert on bank, where a woman calls a customer asking for password, and gets it.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't leave a message where you can't be sure who will hear it. It's not a scam call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure