United untility

Options
Hi
I really need some advice as this is really stressing me out. I lived in shared accommodation two years ago and somehow my name ended up on the water bill. We all moved out and went our separate ways then recently I was applying for a mortgage and noticed there was a ccj on my report and I had no idea why. I did some investigating and found it was for a £520 water bill. The ccj was issued in jan 2018 and I moved out in March 2017. I never received any letter or paperwork for this as I didn’t live there. I had left my forwarding address with my old landlord but nothing was sent to me. I complete a n244 form to appeal it and now I have found out I am in court on 26th November. I am really worried about it as I don’t know if it’s going to end up costing me more as I don’t have a lot of money so I don’t know if I will have money to pay the outcome. Has anyone any idea what the possible outcomes could be? And any advice? I did say in my appeal letter I would pay money if I owed it but I never knew about it as I had moved out. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

If your name was on the water bill you are liable for the period you lived in the property. regardless of how many shared the property; and you haven't said if you paid the water bills.

It would not be unusual for 10 months(3/17 to 1/18) to elapse between you moving out and a ccj being issued.

What are you appealing?
  • Macmc13
    Options
    I’m appealing the fact I didn’t know about any font it as I had moved out and had I have known I would have paid it. If I had have received the paperwork leading up to all of this I wouldn’t have a ccj as I would have paid it
  • Macmc13
    Options
    Any of it*
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Macmc13 wrote: »
    I’m appealing the fact I didn’t know about any font it as I had moved out and had I have known I would have paid it. If I had have received the paperwork leading up to all of this I wouldn’t have a ccj as I would have paid it

I wish you well.

I suspect the case will hinge on wether you knew, or reasonably should have known, that there would be an outstanding bill for which you would have been liable.
  • Macmc13
    Options
    Thanks. If I owe money il pay it but what I’m more concerned about is any extra costs that may be added on with court fees. Would I be safer calling their finance team to settle it and not go to court? Is that even possible?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure